Neck vs. Bridge humbucker

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by detritus, Mar 2, 2009.

?

Neck vs. Bridge humbucker

1. Neck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My hand's still wet from fapping

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. detritus

detritus New Member

I caaaaant deciide.. building a tele and i cant figure out whether i should go with a neck humbucker or a bridge one. either way, its going to be coil tapped.

or should i go with H-H and tap both? gah.
    also, someone explain to me how coil tapping would work on that w/ pushpull pots.
    im too tired to google.

aanyway. list pros and cons of neck and bridge?

2. wylder

wylder Member

You could go for twin coil-split humbuckers and use a 5-position blade-switch/knob instead of push pull pots... that way u can have the following pickup options:
    1. Neck Humbucker
    2. Neck single-coil nearer to fretboard + Bridge single-coil nearer to the bridge (outer 2 coils)
    3. Neck Humbucker + Bridge Humbucker
    4. Neck single-coil nearer to bridge + Bridge single-coil nearer to the fretboard (inner 2 coils)
    5. Bridge Humbucker

I was planning to do this on my Ibanez RG, and I read a lot of forums where they recommend this configuration. In position 2, the pickups give a very tele kinda jangly tone while in pos 4, it gives a bluesy strat tone.
    I don't know if it will work on a Tele cos people aren't usually looking for a lotta thick humbucker tones from a tele, so you might want some single coil options also.. BTW, in the above config, always atleast 2 coils r in use n hence they will be humbucking in all positions, unlike coil tapping..

3. detritus

detritus New Member

hmm yeah, i actually got two push pull pots and a three way selector, so i think il go with the coil tapped double 'buckers.. im guessing il lose the tele bridge twang then right?

4. detritus

detritus New Member

oh, and, i need more help. where can i find out what distance from the nut different guitars have their pickups?

5. wylder

wylder Member