ne1 frm chennai??

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by guitar_gal, Jun 6, 2004.

1. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I play some hindustani stuff in my songs.. My solos have a Steve Vai + Carnatic influence.. Come to think of it listen to the song called Blood And Tears By Steve vai.. Its amazing..

2. twarak

twarak New Member

Tips for carnatic on the guitar.....

Hey Natasia,

You can learn carnatic music on the guitar just like you learn vocal.. you do not need to learn vocal first and then play on the guitar. the key is to be able to produce a smooth transition between the notes, which we refer in carnatic music as gamakas.. if you can manage the gamakas in the notes, then believe me the guitar would sound like a veena. to illsutrate the difference in using gamakas, consider two very similar songs.. twinkle twinkle little star and roop tera mastana... Twinkle twinkle is very jumpy, typical of a western song... while roop tera mastana is a much more free flowing song as a result of the gamakas you are adding to the notes. I must however, warn you that adding gamakas is a whole different science in itself and is something one can pick up with practice.... The addition of the gamakas is very much dependent on the note as well as the raga in which you are playing.

I was very much a western music lover with little interest in carnatic music until recently. Somehow, i was lucky enough to be introduced in to carnatic music which i must say is vast, extremely scientific and mathematical. I really enjoy playing carnatic now on the guitar... its great fun....

The best way is to learn the carnatic music on the guitar is to do the following stepwise...

1. Learn saralis (simple, janta, and other complicated varieties)
    2. Learn varnams (like lambodhara lakumikara.....)
    3. learn geethams
    4. Learn krithis

The tuning on the guitar needs to be changes however, you need to tune the guitar as (S,P,S,P,S,P, THE WESTERN EQUIVALENT WOULD BE (d,a,d,a,d,a), instead of EADGBE

Go to musicindiaonline.com and you can find the necessary lessons...

Unfortunately, carnatic/ hindustani often does not attract tyoung people like us and as it is not catchy like western music is... Even though i am not much of an expert in this, i still owe a lot of gratitude to the art of carnatic music for just giving me the pleasure. So, Feel free to contact me at my email twarakavi@yahoo.com if you want any help whatsoever.

I am a big fan of the carnatic guitarist prasanna and mandolin player U. srinivas, visit his website www.guitarprasanna.com. he plays carnatic jazz and is mind blowing...
    Also, visit
    https://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/personal/music/varnams/index.html
    for a intro to carnatic music.

By the by, does any one have tabs/ chords for ilaya nila from payanangal mudivathillai....

Twarak

3. Natasia

Natasia ...

wooowwww dude,,,, that was an awssommee explanation ..just the kind i was looking for.....i will check the site out and definitely mail u with my queries...

4. Natasia

Natasia ...

hey twarak...just heard the instrumental bits by prasanna ...awwwssoommeeee realllyyy nice......thnnxxx for giving the link....

5. Resha

Resha New Member

I'm from Chennai? *scowl* I call it Madras. I say, is the water in Madras that bad???? *ish getting scared* THAT BADDD??? very filthy?? Aiii....

6. twarak

twarak New Member

Glad

Glad you enjoyed the some parts of prasanna.. in AR rahmans music, watch out for any classical sounding guitar pieces... that is invariably prasanna..

Some of his few songs are:

July Matham Vantha from film Puthiya mugam
    Samba Samba from film LoveBirds
    Kuluvalile from film Muthu
    Kannodu Kannbathellam from film Jeans
    Thirakkatha kattukulle from film Enn Swasa Kattre
    Lagaan..Once upon a time - string orchestra arranged/conducted by
    Prasanna - title track of film Lagaan.
    Pookkum Malargal from film Udhaya

twarak

7. jayanth

Anyone looking to play Indian Styles. Buy Prasanna's DVD .. Its great.. I got a complimentary copy..

8. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

heyyy!!! gr8 2 hav sum more frm gud ol' chennai. resha, u oughta call it chennai. n hey! da water aint filthy or nethin. i mean, u cant call sumthn dat dusnt xist 'filthy', rite?? ;) evrybody here survives on mineral water. dats it. nothin more. v r all usd 2 it. :) bsides dat, chennai is a gr8 city... :beer:

9. jayanth

Ya Right... Mineral Water City.. Actually Banaglore Rocks :rock:

10. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

yea.. so iv heard. been wantin 2 visit blore 4 so bludy long. been like 6-7 yrs since i came der. think il b comin sumtime dis month or da next.

11. jayanth

I've been to Chennai .. But thats the last place i want to go.. Thursday my Bands going to come there..

12. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

4 wat?? n btw, wat did ya guyz buy here da last time u came??

13. jayanth

We bought guitar bags and one Amp

14. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

all da way 2 chennai 4 guitar bags n an amp?? hmm.. PRO musicals dat gud, huh??

n wat r ya comin here 4 on thursday??

15. jayanth

Guitar Case.. Now i need your help.. Can you thrudge over to Pro Musicals or Call him and ask him about a guitar Case Price.. For a Jackson Ke3 kelly. Hard Case. Rectangular with accesories space?? Tell him its for Jayanth in Bangalore and i'm coming on Thursday..

16. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

yea, sure. no probs. now, do i hafta find da no. myself or can ya gimme dat?? i dun think i can go dat far netime soon. aint on my regular route.

17. Resha

Resha New Member

Lol!! I know Chennai's a great city xP I'm from there, it has to be great....lol. kayz..kayz I'll stop with that..

I always drink mineral water when I come to chennai, yupz I do. And I brush my teeth with mineral water. (You all needed to know that)

18. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hey jay! i calld up Pro. seems dey dun hav stock rite now. dey said u gotta place an order wid all yer specifications n den dey'll get it 4 ya. he dint temme da price. wanna kno nethin else??

19. jayanth

Do me a favor.. Tell him i need a case for Jackson Ke3 Kelly.. I'm reaching Chennai on Sunday morning not thursday.. I'll come and ay the price and stuff. A HARD CASE FOR JACKSON KE3 KELLY

20. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

yea, i can do dat... no oder specifications??? juz a hard case 4 jackson ke3 kelly?