My new Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rammy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Nice research - have you ever played a Gibson?

2. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

also take in the point that as u cant compare epiphone les paul lp-100 to epiphone les paul standard/custom/bb/elitist, same way the giBson means a Gibson les paul standard50's/60's/supreme/custom/eltist.... the quality of the guitar is totally different in a low end and the company standard
    (not even counting the higher ends or signature series) so in a way, a high end epiphone can be much better than a low end giBson in terms of wood used,pups installed,and the way the guitar has been finished resulting in the tone and characteristics...

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK
    But, the point is that the difference might be very slight in physical reality.
    And the tone difference that you are talking about is evident only when it is kept clean or on very slight overdrive.

Most of the times, the diff that you experience is coz of psychological reasons rather than physiological reason.

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Bingo !!! the placebo is just a way of justifying to yourself, why you spent almost 4 times the money you could have spent :grin:

@mamba..actually yes...i recently did get a chance to play a gib... :)

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

I belive a high end epiphone with say dimarzios or EMGs or SDs played thru a JCM 800 will sound as good as a Gib thru a JCM 800

all said and done...the Gibson Les Paul Standard still remains on my dream list, and i do intend to buy it...someday....someday
    ( yes i will prolly keep it in an environmentally controlled case):eek::

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

IMO..The thing with real high end stuff is that there will be a little more improvement...a good Epi will get you to 80-85% of what you want..the Gibson may get you to around 90-95%..now its your call whether you wanna pay double for that 5% improvement..some demanding ppl are ready to dish out extra for that small improvement..

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Correct.
    The Law of Diminishing returns.

Of course, no one is stopping you from goign to the limit but your funds (or rather lack of 'em)

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Yup, but even getting to that 80% satisfaction, it costs a lot :'(..I mean a $600-700 guitar aint cheap by any stretch of imagination, forget about the real Fenders , Gibsons or even better boutique stuff..A $150 Epi wont get you there too..there is some min amount you have to invest...

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+ Its also more of perceived benefit thingie.
    See if a person is using tube amps for playing death metal stuff, his satisfaction is just because he perceives certain benfits. Not becasue he is actually reaping the advantages of tueb amps.

Besides, the thing that tube amps have sweeter tone is somethign that is beacause of social phenomena. Ppl like things because they have been told that a particular thing is good.

Same with many guitars too. Just because marketing companies work overtime along with famous artists doesnt actually make some really awesome.
    Infact what may be awesome to one may be aweful to other.

And that thing goes for Les Pauls too. :p: Gibson or Epiphone. Whatever! :p:

10. rammy

^^^agree with evrything, i spent some $1550(approx) on my gear, i cud have bought a really gud giBson from it but wat bout the rest, now i have the coolest fx, a solid amp and the works, compromising on the brand name(not even the pickups this time) and some tech details someppl boast about and here i have my dream setup(even with a limited edition axe), seriously, when i started playing guitar,i always dreamt of owning an authentic les paul, just fell in love with it the day i saw it...then its not bout marketing gimmicks or promotions alpha and only here i disagree, les paul is something man that evry time i pick it up i feel honoured to hold it and play it...also saurabh, even i have a giBson on my dream list also there is a PRS and a variax but right now i am very happy with my gear and dont feel of having nething else for quite some time...

evryone, thanks for sharing my moment of true happiness...and thanks ppl behind IGT and IGT itself for giving us such a place to mpty our clooged minds of daily nonsense by sharing the thing common in evry member of this great institution....The Love for GUITAR and moreover MUSIC.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hehe, man you have succumbed to marketing ploys and yet you refuse to admit it.
    OK temme why do you feel honored to hold it?

12. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Are you building a case from personal experience? I mean, have you ever really played a Gibson Les Paul? Even the same pickups on different guitars sound different.....so....From your arguement you're trying to convey the fact that a BMW is as good as a Maruti...yeah both have 4 wheels and can take you from point A to Point B and that BMW is superior because it is a marketing ploy....have you ever driven a BMW...that's my next question... :)

Peace!

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Whatever.
    You are also a victim.

No point extending this further.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well I couldnt resist since brought cars into the pic.
    (MODs this is in no way goign off topic, everythuing is very relevant)

Man, you bring up the issue of BMW right?
    Tell me you know about a bike called Harley Davidson?

You know how it is touted to be?
    Macho/Risk-taker/Bold/Brave/Adventurous/yada-yada .....

You know SUVs? (Sports Utility Vehicles)
    How they are touted as?
    Macho/Risk-taker/Bold/Brave/Adventurous/yada-yada ..... + complete off road solution

You know who primarily buy Harley-Davidsons, SUVs?
    Chartered accountants, bankers, potbellied CEOs with dozens of kids .... ppl who could never ever be all those thigns listed in the ad.
    What about SUVs? :RollLol:
    Do you know that 95% of SUVs in US (mebbe even higher percentage in India) never ever go off paved roads.

What about Gibson LesPaul?
    They talk about tone. Eh?
    Tone is a very subjective issue. You may like fat tone, I may like thin tone.
    You can never say you are right and I am wrong.

Or that GIBSON Les Paul's tone is better than Epiphone Les Paul.

The only reason why you feel that Gibson's tone is better than Epiphone is coz it has been ingrained into your psyche.

You ever stopped to think and dwell upoin things that you really like?
    Is it because your natural instincts told you to like em?
    Or was it because you came to know/realize that certain things are supposed to be better?

Besides, reagrding the tone and sustain issue, I already said that any discernable difference will be audible while kept clean or mild overdrive.
    So when a death or thrash metal guitarist talks about LesPaul is better because of tone I cant help but laugh.

15. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Long mail...looks like you've got a lot of time. And it also seems you've neither driven a Harley, nor a SUV, nor a BMW and yeah - have never played a Gibson Les Paul.

Wanna jam sometime? I'm in India for 5 days mid April...bringing my JEM and Gibson....

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:nw: Blackmamba ki jai! :nw:
    No point going further with this discussion.

I can see that you have succumbed to the Marketing companies, especially since you circumvented my queries.

Besides, I never had anything against Gibson LesPaul vs Epiphone LesPaul.

17. rammy

well, me never driven a bmw, have driven a porsche though....but alpha if u never had nething for gibson vs epiphone, then y r u trying to prove something u urself never believe...as u are saying that diff will be only in clean or very mild oD, and the rest is fxts nd amps, then all a metal/thrash metal guitarist needs is a GIVSON(even tht has a guitar shape, frets,pickups and strings) at most and plug it in with fxts and he's there...there are diff. and they'll be there, i like les pauls way above neother guitar coz of many things(shape, tone,feel etc.).u may not regard this but i am not saying u do it even, its my perception...and this perception of mine makes me honoured for a les paul and not ne legendary lineup or marketting...its the instrument itself that makes u feel something bcoz of which u want to buy and play only that, or tell me that u never felt something like that when u bought ur guitar and now that u have one, u dont want to buy neother guitar for the rest of ur life???

18. rammy

oh yeah forgot, that porsche was a SUV (porsche cayenne) :) , and leave harley davidson, u must have heard of the indian bike called the BULLET, well its riders are termed as adventurers,brave,yAda yada......read nereview or conduct one of ur own, u'll find 80% of them like that only...

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:RollLol:

Thanks a tonne man!
    I own one.

20. rammy

good,well only now u have spoken bout something after experience,please do the same for evrything u say and dont debate on something just for proving urself even when u urself dont believe in it...