my guitar needs frequent tuning

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by devilss_code, May 2, 2006.

1. devilss_code

devilss_code New Member

hi all

i am facing this prob with my guitar for quite sometime now...i have to tune it evry now and then... it loses its tuning once i play it or even when its kept dormant... most of the times its E&B string tht i have to tune again and again.

plz suggest a way out ..

2. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

HOw old is your guitar??
    if its new than its normal for strings to go out of tune.
    and is it an electric or an acoustic??

3. mr singh

mr singh New Member

when you say its kept dormant... it depends the conditions under which it is kept
    certain conditions can lead to strings becoming lower pitched - flat, or higher pitched - sharp... i.e. out of tune.
    therefore try and keep it in as similar a condition when in storage, in terms of temperature and relative humidity, as it is when being played.
    also if the strings are new then they are more likely to go out of tune
    and i sometimes seem to get my b string going out of tune quicker than most other strings, dunno about that?

4. devilss_code

devilss_code New Member

my guitars an acoustic one... its an year and half old.
    i had replaced the strings a week back... i didnt have this prob earlier when i wud replace replace the strings.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    Remove your strings, clean the nut. Dirt in the Nut is the main reason for the guitars to go out of tune... Whenever you string a guitar, tune it to standard pitch. Then put your hands below the strings and pull them slightly or on each strings do 3 frets bends a lot. This will make it to lose tune. Now tune it back again to the standard pitch... Again pull the strings making them lose tune. Retune it again. Keep doing till at one point when you pull the strings the strings will not go out of tune. That way your guitar remains in tune...Suppose you have a gig in the evening and you end up changing the strings in the afternoon, you cant wait for the string to settle down. This is the method used even by Pros and Guitar Techs who work for pros...

6. devilss_code

devilss_code New Member

hey thanks guys...

and ronnie i shall try whtever u keyed in... thanks yaar