My Guitar Loses Tuning TOO Frequently

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Nov 11, 2007.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Hi guys,

I have an ibanez RG470 with a double locking bridge.Lately i have been observing that while bending too much or using the whammy a little it loses tuning.What could be the reason for it?

Thanks for the help in advance

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Old strings? Just throwing it out there.

Is your bridge locked properly? Is it in balance?

3. rust_in_pain

i found out a defect in it....when i use the whammy and leave it,it does not comes back to the same position as it was earlier...on checking with a software all the strings come down by a freq of 4Hz...like A string is 110Hz...it becomes 106-7...then by slightly adjusting the whammy bar it comes back to the original tuning....
    now what can be done to revive it??

4. thehundredthone

Check that your bridge is balanced. If you have one of those Zero Resistance bridges you might want to google it.

5. rust_in_pain

my bridge is not a zero resistance,it a LO-TRM by ibanez..
    i balanced the base plate with the body surface..it was slightly out of place...now the bending dosnt causes detuning but the whammy problem still remains..
    i googled and came across knife edges...what are these?

6. thehundredthone

Knife edges are to do with the ZR trem I think, I'm not sure. I'll look about and get back to you.

7. rust_in_pain

thanks for the effort ..

8. Logical Paradox

Logical Paradox New Member

Did u checked out the locking nuts ?? try to tight them and check by pressing the strings near the "Tuner Heads" one by one , and check if the tuning is getting Flat or High ..

check out the Stud screw posts , if they are rocking the tremelo!