My Favourite

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by dimebag_dimebag, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

technical abililty(speed,sweep picking etc. )

2. wolfblitz

wolfblitz New Member

iam really a bassist/vocalist so i dunno if my opinion on guitarists count
    ....anyways....
    1>jimi hendrix:many have tried to emulate him,his sounds,that wonder he works with the oddly wired up strat and the fender stack.......all have failed

2>marty friedman>listen to hangar 18,holy wars,tornado.....n ull know why
    and dont forget to check out cacophony

3>dimebag darell>riffs that make u start frothing at the mouth.....

4>angus young>ditto

5>alex lifeson>to accomplish so much in the progressive genre before anyone else.....is bloody amazing

6>kerry king/hanneman>deadly use of that arab pentatonic

7>dave mustaine>whiplash n four horsemen on leads
    and so many megadeth epics on that tight rythm is enough to get him in the list

8>alex laiho>check out that solo in downfall[if u can ignore the killer double bass that is]
    honourable mention:ted nugent> love that southern bluesy feel

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

OK here's my list:
    1. John McLaughlin- The most versatile guitar player ever. Who else has done jazz standards, loud jazz-rock, flamenco, Carnatic classical and Western classical like he has?
    2. Shawn Lane: The fastest, period. But thats not the point-the most tasteful, soulful, lost-in-the-groove shredder ever born.
    3. Jason Becker-More for his composition than his playing. Cacophony is abysmal, but the stuff on Perspective and some stuff on Perpetual Burn are beautiful.
    4. Pat Metheny: The best tone on earth, a child prodigy and great innovation.
    5. Jason Gobel and Paul Masvidal: For their stuff with Cynic and especially with Gordian Knot. Amazing feel and a completely non-cliched approach to shred.
    6. Steve Morse: Amazingly knowledgable about music and an ability to assimilate diverse styles without losing his touch. Major Impacts is beautiful.
    7. Marty Friedman: For his non-scalar approach to soloing and wierd bends, not to mention Japanese tonality.
    8. Jimmy Page: For making modern rock what it is.

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

there have been lots of them actually.....but I'll pick some whom i really admire

1. Alex Scolnick--I owe a good friend who introduced me to Testament in college..some 3 years back. Argubly the greatest thrash metal bands ever.

2. Chuck Schuldiner--Was the reason I got into death metal. RIP

3. Dave Mustaine--Awesome stage presence.

4. Dimebag Darrel--For his killer riffs. RIP

5. Eric Clapton--No words can suffice my respect for him.

6. Glen Buxton and Adam Jones--Two really underrated but brilliant guitarists

7. Kim Thayil and Toni Iommi

8. Karl Sanders--I recently picked up Nile and regret ignoring them for so long.

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

my present list ..(keeps on changing every time )

1. Dimebag Darrel ..for his amazing riffs and his unique style of playing ..and hu cud forget his pinch harmonics...even his shredding style is totally awsum

2.kirk hammet ...the guy hu inspired me 2 pick up the guitar ..his chops are amazing
    i really admire his style of playing blues licks in a thrash/heavy metal way

3.John Petrucci ...this guy is a massive shredder and u can understand wat he plays..his tutorial ROCK DISCIPLINE is one of the best tutorials ever .....

4. Marty Freidman....deepth , speed , agility , style , tone

5..Dave Murray.....hmm..maiden always seems very fresh 2 me ......has real nice blues lick and a hint of neo classical

6.SRV .....one of my favourite blues-rock guitarist ever ....has an awsum tone and pinpoint timming

7. Satch ...my precision himself

8.Paul Gilbert ..eccentric guy...has nice technique ..but i dont like his tone