My Favourite

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by dimebag_dimebag, Nov 5, 2004.

1. JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE GUYS ...
    NAME YOUR FAVOURITE 8 GUITARISTS....AND THE REASON WHY THEY ARE UR FAV...NOT NECESSARILY IN ORDER..IN CASE UR WONDERING WHY 8...ITS BCOZ I SAID SO :cool: ..MUAHHAHAHA...

1. YNGWIE J MALMSTEEN- BCOZ HES THE GUY WHO STARTED THE NEOCLASSICAL STUFF AND GOT THE BEST CHOPS IN THE BUSINESS...AND CAN SHRED BETTER THAN ANYONE INCLUDING STEVE VAI...
    2. STEVE VAI- BCOZ I FEEL HES THE WEIRDEST AND MOST UNCONVENTIONAL GUITAR PLAYER TODAY...THOUGH HE WENT TO BERKLEE AND LEARNT ALL THE THEORY ..HE BREAKS IT REGULARLY..I LOVE HIM AHEM HIS PLAYING I MEAN COZ HE EXEMPLIFIES THE STATEMENT
    U GOT TO KNOW THE RULES TO BREAK THEM.
    3. KIRK HAMMETT - SIMPLY BCOZ HES THE REASON I STARTED PLAYING GUITAR...I DONT CARE IF ANYONE THINKS HES OVERRATED...THOUGH THERE ARE MANY WHO KICKS HIS ARSE ...HE LL REMAIN MY GUITAR HERO FOREVER..
    4.SCOTT KERR-NO ONE KNOWS HIM OUT HERE...BUT HE POSTS HIS STUFF REGULARLY ON THE GUITAR.COM FORUMS AND I THINK HES GR8..IF ANY ONE WANTS TO CHECK HIM OUT HIS ID NOWS STUDIO_FREAK..AND CHECK THE ELECTRIC FORUM FOR HIM ...
    5. JOYCE SADA- MY UNCLE WHO PASSED AWAY....HES ALSO ONE GUY WHO INFLUENCED ME TREMENDOUSLY ...HIS STYLE IS A PART OF ME NOW..IF I GET TO SHARE MY STUFF WID U WILL HEAR A PART OF HIM TOO.
    6. STEVE MORSE-SIMPLY A GENIOUS....A GENIOUS...HAVE TO CHECK MORE OF MORE OF HIS STUFF THOUGH..BUT WHATEVER IVE HEARD TILL NOW..FREAKIN GENIOUS..CAN EMULATE ALMOST ALL STYLES OF MUSIC..
    7. DIMEBAG - YEAH DIMEBAG DARRELL AND NOT ME....HIS PLAYIN BLEW ME AWAY FROM THE BEGINNING...SO MUCH CONTROL OF HIS PLAYIN...
    I READ IN ONE INTERVIEW THAT HE HAS A GUITAR IN ALL HIS ROOMS IN HIS HOUSE PLUGGED IN....SO THAT WHENEVER HE HAS A RIFF BAM..HE PLAYS IT...HE ALSO HAS A CHEAP ACOUSTIC IN THE CRAP ROOM :eek: HAHhaahah..
    8. MARTY FRIEDMAN- HIS SOLOS ARE SONGS ITSLEF SO MUCH MEANING AND SO MUCH DEPTH..AND SO FREAKIN HARD TO LEARN ...HHAHAAH

THERES MORE BUT I CANT HELP IT I SAID ONLY 8..HAHAHA

2. what nobody has his fav 8 ???

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

1. Steve Vai
    2. Andre Olbrich
    3. Jani (of Sonata Arctica... too lazy to check his full name)
    4. Petrucci
    5. Joe Satriani
    6. Michael Romeo
    7. Darrel Dimebag
    8. Dave Murray/Adrian Smith (I shall always mention these two as one combo deal)

Reasons : They are good guitarists each with their own special skills and some with a few minor flaws and their music draws me on. Some of them might not be as skillful as a few others I have not mentioned but on the whole it is mostly these few whom I look upto when I play my guitar.

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Eric Johnson
    John Petrucci
    Yngwie Malsteem
    Slash
    Eddie Van Halen
    Kirk Hammett

5. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

1. John McLaughlin
    And the rest, in no particular order:
    Satriani,
    Steve Vai,
    Prasanna (Indian guy who plays carnatic/jazz)
    Mandolin U. Srinivas (I'd probably rate him 2 under McLaughlin, cos his mandolin is really a kind of electric guitar. Listen to "Maya" from "the believer" by remember shakti to check out his skills)
    Steve Harris (Bass)
    Segovia,
    Django Reinhardt

6. Dudes ....plz Post The Reasons...for Each Particular Player......
    It Bcomes Too Borin To Just Read A List

7. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

well... allrite. But I must warn you that most of the reasons for my selections are more or less the same

Steve Vai - His skill and amazing ability to do apparently impossible things with a guitar. Also, For The Love of God, my alltime favourite musical piece is by him.

Andre Olbrich - Contrary to what everyone else may believe, I rate him very high as a guitarist because his solos and leads actually have a life of their own. He has a lot of technical skill which is apparent from Blind Guardian songs but the reason I rate him so high is due to the higher priority that he seems to give to melody than to speed.

Jani - Speed and melody, thats all there is to this guy.

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hmm...........
    Slash:the reason i picked up the guitar....the kinda solos he makes...rich in melody and his speed is pretty amazing too, plus hes soo down to earth....great stage presence...
    satriani:amazing skill and style
    joe perry
    jimmy page
    mcloughlin
    mark tremonti:just like his melodies..
    steve vai:for the love of god....u gotta like him
    yngwie: for his sheer resilience

9. Lizard_King

Lizard_King New Member

1. Slash - he's got it all....the looks, the attitude, the women, killer tones..... n best bit of it all: his own signature Les Paul.....the best for the best!
    2. Joe Satriani - Surfin with the Alien.... this guy is so good that u'd think, well yeah...he's probably not human after all!
    3. Eddie Van Halen - where would we be today without this man's fret tapping inventions...(although others claimed to have invented it b4 him!)
    4. Steve Vai - The man with infinite number of fingers....he rocks!
    5. Jeff Beck - "one of the most versatile player ever"....as slash described him
    6. Jimmy Page - oh yeah!... the pioneers of hard rock!....the world would be a sad place with only boy bands and other suck freaks if it werent for this guy and his band!
    7. Angus Young - the coolest schoolboy the world has ever known!
    8. Mark Knopler - One of the best!!
    9. Dimebag Darrel - (Just couldnt leave him out)Pure genius.....no staffs...no tabs...picks up the guitar and plays something that blows u away just like that......

10. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

1. Slash - cuz he's the reason i know 27 GN'R songs, i picked up the guitar, i got into Gn'r

2. Me - Im me.

3. The guy that delivers my mail - he can giv u ur mail in record time.

4. Angus Young - goofy.

5. Izzy Stradlin - too underated

6 - 8 - Slash

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

1) Chuck Schuldiner (Death) - Death is my favorite band of all time. Chuck's guitar and songwriting skills were legendary. I absolutely worship him for the legacy he left us. My only wish is that one day I may be able to achieve his incredible level of skill with the guitar and writing. Rest in peace my brother.

2) Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) - CoB's vocalist and lead axe has been my inspiration for quite a while now. I absolutely love his use of the minor pentatonic (much better than what Mr. Hammett can do with it). I respect them as a band too, especially after seeing them live. Their energy and love for playing gets them high marks in my book.

3) Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) - Sabbath's contribution to heavy metal is undeniable and although I wouldn't rate Tony as a fast guitarist, he was the pioneer of the wicked distortion and down-tuning that would become a stape in heavy metal. Sabbath are also my favorite band to listen to while drinking. :)

4) Karl Sanders (Nile) - One of the rather unknown guitarists out there, his solos are killer and his brutal delivery on vocals rates him amongst my top death guitarists. Nile as a band are extremely talented and I recommend every death fan to check them out.

5) James Hetfield (Metallica) - Surprise? I rate James extremely high as a musician (although his efforts since he stopped drinking have been questionable) and consider him one of the best metal vocalists around today. James generally writes fantastic riffs for Metallica and I love most of them (the killer riff for Creeping Death comes to mind). James' technique is unbelievably clean: fingers very close to the fretboard, the best palm-muting technique I've seen yet, he can shred when he wants to (check out the Seattle concert from the Live Shit album; unbelievable fill on Seek & Destroy) and he can even drum fairly well (I think he's a better drummer than Lars...;)). Kirk may be more technical are a faster guitar player but James easily outranks him as a better all-round player.

6) Glen Tipton/K. K. Downing (Judas Priest) - I just love these guys. They can never do anything wrong (not counting the Ripper era of course....DIE Tim). Their contribution to heavy metal over more than 20 years has been undeniable. Kickass solos such as the ones in Rock Hard, Ride Free, The Sentinel, Electric Eye, Beyond The Realms Of Death and Painkiller to name a few are among the best in all of heavy metal.

7) Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman (Megadeth) - This in my opinion was the best duo in all of heavy metal. Rust In Peace was a guitar masterpiece that shall not be topped by any other heavy metal band for a long long time (just listen to Hangar 18). Please come back Marty!!

8) Rhandy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne) - The guitar prodigy from Ozzy's band met his demise way too soon. I always thought he was too damn good for Ozzy's band. I mean just listen to him on Crazy Train. It's almost like he's on a leash coz the other band members can't keep up with him. The man had some incredible talent and it's really too bad he could just record 2 albums before he passed away. Fitting that Jackson's flagship line of guitars should be named after him. Rest in peace man.

Yup that about covers it. I'm not really into shred like Vai and Malmsteen so I won't list them here. Enjoy!

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

interesting.. no nuno bettencourt.. extreme fans? ihavent seen his name in this forum yet..

That guy had some amazing chops and very different compositions..

13. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

ME me me.... I like that guitarist.. I like songs like Cupid;'s Dead, More Than words.. etc etc...

The chops in Cupids Dead is just brilliant..

14. Mamasteen

Mamasteen <A-W-A-Y>

1)Yngwie Malmsteen : I like everything about Yngwie and honestly, tried to copy some of them – His name, His outfit, stage performance, the way he talks, his cockiness which I think he deserves, his scalloped guitar( I got the idea of scalloping guitar out of experimentations though) & His Gold Chains ‘laughs’ with those beamish facial expressions. Although he has gained a lot of weight which makes him look like a Big Aunty who just woke up from sleep with a fender, I don’t care.. He remains NUMBER ONE guitarist to me. Anyway those were superfluous for this topic.
    I use the same plectrum that Yngwie uses(Dunlop 1.5mm) and holds it EXACTLY the way he holds. One more thing that I’ve observed in him is that, unlike many guitarists he switches the pickup control every now and then… That’s something all rock guitarists should adopt while playing solos to get a perfect tone. Also, the way he holds the power chords are diametrical, if you ever observed.. COOL YEAH? He is a magnificent lyricist too. I’ll fill up this page if I don’t stop now… check the other topic “fastest shredder” regarding his gtr playing. Lemme not waste page here.

2)Vinnie Moore : He is extremely melodious with immense speed and accuracy. As a child and beginner, I used to wonder how scales are played so fast on the guitar, I had no idea how to play it fast until I heard Vinnie Moore playing TRIPLETS on the solos and then it all made sense, I got into the shredding world after some years. Thank You Vinnie Moore.

3)Jason Becker : As a teenager I’d go hunting for all Pirated Tapes because those days (maybe till date) they never released albums in India by these type of musicians whom I loved to listen. I got hold of a pirated album(pirated from china side) Speed Metal Symphony by Cacophony featuring Becker and Marty. Songs from SMS like Concerto, The Ninja and solo of Desert Island changed the way I played guitar. I remember listening and re-winding the tape for about 1000 times in a day to get the exact notes and play along with it. Concerto was the song which introduced sweep-picking to me, and I still play it…I love that song and I’m never bored by it.Even though I prefer Yngwie as a better sweeper, Jason Becker was the artist from whom I learned more sweeping techniques by learning to play songs like ‘Perpetual Burn’ and ‘Altitutes’(It doesn’t mean I can play them exactly) ok?

4) Paul Gilbert : I used to be a Big Fan of Mr Big so I got hold of their Guitarist’s instructional tape which improved my picking to a big extent : (Paul Gilbert : Intense Rock Sequences and Techniques) I don’t know if the title is correct (can’t rely on labels printed on pirated tapes) but who cares about the title? . Besides his guitar-ability he also has a very good voice… Jimi hendrix tribute(live) was something phenomenal. Ever heard of the Spice Girl’s Cover Song “Two Become One” sung by Paul Gilbert?

5) Tony Macalpine : He is a keyboardist and a guitarist. He is Fast, and his ability to ameliorate the minor scales intrigues me. If you’re looking for another Shredder other than Yngwie who sticks exclusively on minor scales , let Tony be the First choice. I’ll be your second choice, just wait for the day ….. Just Kiddin … hehehe

6) Vito Bratta : White Lion was a big success with Vito Bratta. The type of guitar solos you hear on White Lion songs are my favorites and the type of solos I want to exhibit.

7)David Gilmour : Simply because the first songs I heard in my life were by Pink Floyd .. that was even before I heard the nursery rhymes like ‘Jack N Jill went up the Hill’ or ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ in School... some one played pink floyd every day in our house..i can remember still but i don't know if it was my father, mother, sisters or brother lol. David Gilmour is a GR8 guitarist even then and he surely has a place in TOP 10 guitarist list in the world, No Doubt! (am not saying about shredders but talking about guitarists).

8)Greg Howe : I'm still digging more of his music.

It would have been nice if I were allowed to name another two more guitarist.. But by any means I won’t have named Vai or Satch.. I just hate them..
    Infact, why don’t you start a “Guitarist Hate List” thread Dude?but keep the Nos limited ok? hehe you knw the reason why……

15. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

You are quite good at that.. YOu play like crazy man...

16. IbanezDude116

IbanezDude116 New Member

1. Steve Vai.... He's tha ****!
    2. Eric Clapton
    3. Joe Satriani
    4. Eric Johnson
    5. JIMI!!
    6. Brandon Cleaveland
    7. Jimmy Page
    8. Stevie Ray.

Jimi didnt know the rules and he still didnt break them! Wait... is heroin against tha rules?

17. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

jimi hendrix - His technicality
    jimi page - his compositions...exactly to the led zep`s Phsyce
    Van halen - Nice compositions n Speedy guitaring

18. Srirangan

Srirangan The Song Remains the Same

Jimmy Page <-- Genius
    /me worships

19. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

1.Alex Skolnick and James Murpy <---i worship these guys equally
    -Alot of you already know that, Testament is probably my favorite band of all time. Alex Skolnick is who got me into playing guitar. I saw the video for Souls of Black and went "oh ****!! I wanna play that!". That was years ago. Other than being a guitar god, hes a really nice guy, the guy has replied to alll my countless emails. Its also because of Skolnick i became interested in jazz.
    -James Murphy, yeah i know he was in Testament too, but thats not what him my favorite guitarist with Alex Skolnick (though his Testament stuff DID kick ass). I probably became a James Murphy fan after hearing his work on Death's Spiritual Healing. From there, i checked out his Disincarnate stuff, his Konkhra stuff, his Foreign Objects stuff, his Obituary stuff, his cancer stuff, and also his solo albums...he ****ing kicks ass. A very VERY versatile player, other than just laying down some godly solos, his rhythm guitaring also kicks ass.

2. Eric Peterson (Testament)
    My favorite rhythm guitarist of ALL TIME!! If you want to hear the best of Eric Peterson, you HAVE to check out Testament's The Gathering (though it lacks much solos and alex skolnick was not in the band [james murphy was though, even if he didnt play much solos on this record, his riffing KICKS MAJOR ASS!...back to peterson]). Yeah definitley, The Gathering seriously captures what Peterson is all about, since he wrote the majority of the riffs on that album.

3.Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist)

like ive said before, this guy is a MONSTER! AMAZING GUITARISt! AMAZING SOLOS!

4. Trey Azagothoth (Morbid Angel)
    Trey is the ****ing overlord of Death Metal...PERIOD!!

5. Jon Levasseur (Cryptopsy)
    One of my favorite guitarists of all time!!!! Amazing riffs, awesome solos

Ok im too lazy ill just list the rest:

6.Karl Sanders (Nile) **** YOU DEATHMETALFAN!! Nile is one of my fave bands now.

7. Frank Gambale

8. Eric Rutan (ex Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal)

20. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

sorry for sounding stupid, but what are chops? :confused: