muted chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by axlrose250, Nov 6, 2004.

1. axlrose250

axlrose250 New Member

how do u play muted notes or chords

2. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

lift your left hand or fingers so that they touch the string but the string doesn't touch the fret board, when you strike the strings. This creates a "pluck" sound instead of the normal note.

3. ^^ dude the chords will sound the same anywhere u play then....

im not flaming u ...but i dont think its correct

playing muted all has to do with ur right hand to get that "chugga chugga "
    sound...hold the chord down properly first and the slightly place ur palm over the strings and strum the chord..
    if u want me to post a sound clip playin it ...tell me and ill post..ok?
    peace out

4. skaw

skaw snooze

woow dimebag, chill ... ananth is right too

c muted chords can be played by either using left or right hand... if you use your left hand( as anath said) you can play better rhythms or strum better... and if you use ur right hand you can strum a few strings not all ...

therefore .. if you wana strum all the string muted .. you will use your left hand
    and if you want to strum a few strings .. then you will use ur right hand... :)

kapeich?

oh i forgot to mention sumthin ... anath gave a good description on how to play em .. but if u dun understand it .. all you ahve to do is softly put of hand on the strings on what ever position you want and then .. play...

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

:shock:

there's no such thing as one of the technique being better than the other...u can mute with ur left hand as well as ur right, but u will get a different sound in both the cases..
    the right hand technique gives a heavier sound..the left one damps(usually used on acoustics) and usually also produces lots of harmonics when playing on the electric.

6. skaw

skaw snooze

ite... buh why did u have me quoted .. i didn't say tht either one of em was bad or anything :shock: ....

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

1. Muted chords can be played using both your left and right hands. Beginners normally find the left hand version easier.
    2. If a vibrating string is damped, it doesn't matter where it is damped - on the right side or the left side. It is still damped and sounds "chug" no matter where you damp it.
    3. The "chug" sound still has a certain frequency which is determined by the length of the damped string which will change from note to note (try it)
    4. Its easier to play muted notes (as opposed to chords) with left hand damping, especially in a solo with muted notes mixed between regular notes.

8. axlrose250

axlrose250 New Member

hello guys

i asked the question first and i hve this 2 say

1. thanks for ur help guys espicallah ananth and dimebag
    2. like ananth said as im a beginner using the left hand 2 mute is easier for me right now.
    3. dimebag yaar nice nice sound clip i just wanted 2 ask u one thing though. in your explaination wat did u mean by "the slightly place ur palm over the strings". i dont get tat bit

once again thanks guys for ur help got a lot figured out

9. axle--the should have been then....
    typo error...
    u have to place ur right hand over the strings ie near the sound hole and strum with a pick using ur wrists ..its a little tough at first ..but ull get it ..dont lose hope thats it
    all the best man..

10. axlrose250

axlrose250 New Member

thanks man ill try