Music School for western voice in India????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Apra, Jan 29, 2012.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

There is so much material in there for a rich delhi boy meme :')

2. wylder

wylder Member

Its not about people believing in different characters and stuff. Here's the deal - Christianity is a pretty old religion. We all believe that the same Bible as the source of truth and the same God and the same Jesus Christ. Just that over the years, differences in opinion over less central points of Christianity have led to divisions and denominations.

In medieval times, the common man did not have the knowledge to decipher the Bibles which was initially available only in Hebrew or Latin. To overcome this, the early churches came up with prescribed formats for worship which slowly became rituals over the years. This worked back then but the problem was that the interpretation of your priest ends up being your belief.

These churches have undergone reformations and now there is stress on lesser rituals and more of direct learning of the Bible by the common man. The various denominations that we see basically have differences in the conduct of worship and disputes in interpretations of certain teachings.

3. wylder

wylder Member

I am a protestant and had a stint of playing bass and guitars regularly in a Catholic Church Sunday mass. The pianist who accompanied me there, a Catholic himself, had joined me in playing for our protestant church events.

Maybe your friend was in some kind of extremist church but that's more like an exception and not the rule. They will not entertain other religions but other denominations should be fine. Churches do require you to be a regular church goer with a good repute. Basically, the church wants people involved in its service to be examples to the ones attending it. They wouldn't besmirch their image by putting an exceptionally talented sot to lead the service.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, of course...I was just being an ass.

Also, alpha I'm surprised at your vehement opposition of religion...though I assume you're not being very serious since you toned up your post after the first didn't get a reaction.

I'd expect you to agree that religion was, and still is, a way of social bonding and encouraging community...and that when originally conceived, did not picture a world where traveling and settling down as an individual in a new community was commonplace as it is now. What it ends up becoming, though, can be blamed more on human nature than on religion. Religion is just the easiest tool to use. I've said this before but if it wasn't religion it would be something else. In America, it's colour. In India, it's castes (and colour). Most places, it's ***. Power equations are going to exist.

At the end of the day, most religions essentially tell you how to live in a society...and encourage working for a greater good by promising a future reward and talking it up by being the ultimate goal (heaven, karma etc.). I'm not against the idea...though I really do not subscribe to the views of any religion, I do try to live by it's principles. I also like to think of it as a way of saying screw you to Economics.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well it does gives something worthwhile to mortals ... otherwise they will end up like wild animals - not that being wild animals is bad.
    The problem is that human brain is capable of causing enough damage to start a chain reaction of complete destruction. (e.g. nukes in today's world, guns/metal swords/pikes/clubs/fire in the primitive world)

Something that other wild animals are not capable of (unless they evolve to carry more "capable" brains).

So yes its there, and perhaps even required. Additionally, if I were to ban it (say I am unchallenged dictator of this world), tomorrow ppl will again start swaying towards some or other form of organized/disroganized religion, especially after my death.
    So you are absolutely right that its in human nature.

Thats why I said - adults are like grown up kids. Only, their thoughts and actions are more discrete and subtle.

*Sigh*
    Perhaps we need some more evolution of the human brain in order to ACTUALLY grow up!

But - I can still ridicule the ridiculous aspects.
    ?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually, the first line in bold is exactly what principles of economics also tells us about societies. Economic benefits, economies of scale, economic value etc.
    And how it is optimized in a society, and not optimized when everyone is alone and independant.

7. wylder

wylder Member

Religion gives hope too for some. When the going gets tough, when you put in all the work and don't see results - the idea of somebody watching over you and rewarding you ultimately helps.

In time such an attitude toughens you up mentally and you learn to overcome plateaus with sheer hard work. But at least it helps when you aren't used to the idea.

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, by all means! I'd do it too but I find it a little like beating a dead horse.

I seem to have unwittingly equated religion to economics...and it seems to make sense, much to my disappointment.

9. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

yeah, i would rather it be something else. dividing by color would be unreasonable but at least it wouldn't be debatable that it was stupid. the people who would continue with it would at least be aware of what they were getting into. religion has a noble purpose but its means are messed up and the worst part is that most people are completely oblivious to it and therefore give it a purpose higher than it deserves (leading to conflict, and worse)

and the fact that everything religious is considered very sacred is what makes me really despise modern religion. in other power equations you would still have the power struggle but you wouldn't have to go through the amount of BS you have to go through when it comes to religion

10. komal29

komal29 New Member

I agree with you alpha1[my goodness..never ever in my life i ever thought i would be saying this!!]...:)

11. komal29

komal29 New Member

dude..i meant the same..!!

12. komal29

komal29 New Member

uff people! bjr..alpha1..wylder..morbid_angel..
    you guys are too intelligent..dont make all threads a group discussion for some management school..:aggre::annoyed:
    coz it shows clearly u guys are [if not all] management students/professionals!:cool:
    i mean each of u has some complicated views and opinions difficult to comprehend..and we need to keep a dictionary to understand the words used..if we try to understand whats going on in the discussion!!!:nw:
    Keep it simple!!!

13. wylder

wylder Member

Catholics are a denomination within Christianity, not a different religion. Obviously a person from another religion will not be allowed to conduct a church service. It is for the similar reasons that Christian pujaris are not widely accepted in temples :D

14. komal29

komal29 New Member

ok ok..lemme not get into a discussion about it now..i had posted something..n u posted something same to it but added unnecessary stuff..thats what i meant..simple..
    ROFL...

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If only GDs of Management schools were really intelligent ... ! (they are nothing more than my reasoning/opinion is better than yours slugfest)

Actually each of us has very simple and straight view.
    Its only if you see it through the socially colored lens - that everything we talk will seem "absurb" or "unnatural" or "complex".

Perhaps I need to repeat myself:
    Humanity takes last precedence in religious matters.

Very simple and straightforward.

16. komal29

komal29 New Member

ROFL
    read the thread from the starting u will know!! .lol

17. wylder

wylder Member

@komal29: I believe that my opinions (what I deem right in non-scientific matters) are a product of my life experiences. The reason i participate in a general discussion such as this is to understand the views of others and learn from their experiences too. I feel that's the only way you can get a broader perspective of things around you.

I do not expect to convince you about what I think is right. I do not get upset if you do not subscribe to my views. I am just weighing my opinions in the light of your experiences and reasoning and if I think that there is substance in your argument, I might change my own view on it.

Also, you do not have to be the wisest person on earth to contribute. As described above your views count just as much as others. This is a public forum and unless the mods deem you a nuisance, you have the right to participate. Though I may sound rude at times, the comments are not meant to insult you personally. My apologies if you did felt that way.

18. wylder

wylder Member

About the vocabulary, "I've upped my standards. So, up yours..."
    Just kidding, NOM...

But seriously, there is a huge difference between learning GRE word-lists and putting them to use in your communication. I have come across managers out of top level B-schools who fail to impress with their communication skills. No question they are brilliant minds but maybe our education system has holes in it that makes them that way (or maybe we got the lemons).

I am not a manager - in fact, I am trying to find my way to becoming a technical expert. But effective communication takes you a long way in your career.

19. komal29

komal29 New Member

omg!! what were all these..lol..dude..nobody has insulted or anything such has happened..chill..please..why would u wanna convince me?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  20. komal29

komal29 New Member

thanks for suggestions..as for communication is concerned..i keep the vocabularly simple n am told i am effective enough so much that many have listened me speak for hours[n i do all the time :p] without feeling bored..n am not exaggerating..so no issues..doing good for myselves :)