Music is an ART or SCIENCE

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by DRBILLA, Jul 22, 2008.

?

Music creativity needs theories/knowledge of scales etc or not

1. YES

40.0%
  2. NO

60.0%
  1. DRBILLA

DRBILLA New Member

ok guys lets discuss wether music is an art that needs no music thoeries or its science that needs theories and research. Being an art it depends on one's creativity but no theories. Being science its does need theories and other stuff.
    What do u think?:think: express yourself here.

2. DRBILLA

DRBILLA New Member

well to me its an art that needs only your natural creativity and practice. Because there are many musicians rather great musicians who have never gone through these theories but their music is awsome. And music comes from your inside not from books. It is the combination of notes that may belong to any scale or something else.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Does a baby know anything about centre of gravity when they learn to stand?

Do they know anything about it 40 years later?

4. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

music comes from within........u could knw all da theories and scales in da world bt wouldnt be able to play one decent song...........

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Music is commerce now.

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Music is an ART to make the SCIENCE work for (or against) you :)

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

How does science even come into picture?

Unless you are talking about MAKING musical instruments ...

8. DRBILLA

DRBILLA New Member

SCIENCE means any thing that is based on thoeries and research, be it natural science or playing guitar.

9. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

oye!! DO I have to teach you the theories of sound now?? I mean the Cycle per second etc :p:

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But do you actually use any of the "sound theories" to actually make music?

You may require it to design an instrument, OR to make music FROM an instrument.

BUT to make music, you dont need ANY science. And if you dont use your creativity (or art) in making music - its not gonna be music - its just gonna be a rhythm.

Had the question been:
    Making Musical instruments - art or science?
    It would have been valid.

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

no no. not really. You use science but you don't know you're using it. Refer to my questions.

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The science is just a means to an end in music..

13. thehundredthone

@bjr: Some do, some don't. If you break it down art is science and science is art. Both are man made terms, they're not integral definitions.

14. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Condoms are man made.

15. APPLE SINGH

APPLE SINGH New Member

Music is an Art when you play it with feeling in right manner while it is
    Science when someone try to play it using various theories or books .

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Bingo.

I agree quite whole-heartedly. Couldn't have put it better(or this well probably). Bully for you.

somehow relating to art in terms of why it works the way it does puts me off a little.

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Lol, i just saw the poll. Knowing a scale isn't really science (imo)

18. thehundredthone

Yet I think if you define science as the knowledge gained through practice and study then knowing your scales and other theory could be called science.

But scales and other theory again is a derivative of the actual science of sound. They put slightly more human labels on audible frequencies and wave characteristics.

So if you try and analyse why music is what it is it's the science you're looking at. If you critique the music in musical terms it would probably be art. And both come down to the same thing in the end. One man's art is another man's science.

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, I'd differentiate between the technical and scientific aspects. What a scale is would be technical. To me the science behind music would have something to do with things like the moods behind certain scales and certain notes in comparison to the scale and things along these lines.

20. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Nice perspective.

Btw, even if you don't learn the scales you can easily make out what notes are not melodious or "out of scale" and make your own melody.

Music is an Art
    Imagine tribes in jungles beating drums and blowing through the pipes could sound better than Himess. No?