music and tabs

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Greeshma, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

i just wanted 2 no, how many of u guyz actally no how to read actual music. i can read tab and a bit of music but i'm not sure if there is the need to learn reading music

2. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

I can read music, but not the way it should, i know how to read it and to play it but not like the people whom doing this for years. Reading tabs, no i can't cause i'm not a guitarplayer, i'm a keyboardplayer.
    In my opinion there is no need to learn reading notes but i think it wouldn't harm anyone either if you want to learn it, it would make you play lots of songs, much easier cause there are lots of songs worldwide on music sheets! In fact, it depends what you want to do in the future with your "music", if you want to be a professional, then yes i think you should learn music notes!
    Btw, these are just my opnion and nothing more than that!!!

3. Greeshma

thanx but when my guitar teacher gives me a peice of music he gives me Tab but with music on top so i no how much a note is worth(how long i need to play it for and how to play it). if i had just music i wouldn't no where to play it but tyen agian i ahvn't been playing that long

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Well sight reading is pretty tough for the guitar because there are so many positions to play a certain note. Being able to sight read for the guitar is no small thing, well, sight reading in general.

Tabs make things slightly easier because the position of the note is known, but then you don't know the duration of the note.

Either way being able to sight read is a good thing.

5. basit_jaaaani

basit_jaaaani I'm gUnnin' fer uuu

well there's sheet music, tabs, and chord notation and who know wut else
    ppl learn wut they feel like learnin i guess

6. Greeshma

thanx i think i'll try sight reading a bit later. i'll stick to tab 4 now

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I can read music and sight read single notes.

8. Greeshma

how long hav u been playing 4 tho, i only started this year

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Sight reading is extremely important if you plan to take on professional music and/or get into classical stuff. I realized what I lacked during a recording session that I was doing with a friend and there he gave me a piece of music and told me to get it in an hour. I spent the time trying to decipher the damn thing!

10. Greeshma

LOL, but i asked my guitar teacher the same thing he sed not even all pro'z can read music but all of them can sight read tab. he sed it's better to be able 2 read music as well, but it's not a nessocary