Modes: Inspired by dennis

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by bjr, Mar 26, 2006.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Not really....but listening to him did make me realize that I have no clue about how to extract the sound out of modes. I then came up with a nice unconventional progression (unconventional meaning one I've not heard, not really "unconventional").

I had a go at this nice progression I came up with.

D E | C D | E7 (sometimes E7#9)

What I'm using:

On the first bar ( D E) I'm using an E mixolydian. This is where I want you to tell me whether I've gotten even a bit of that sound. I kinda thought I did.

On the second bar (C D) I'm using a D mixolydian sometimes and a B phrygian sometimes. More often than not, I was using this bar to resolve the tension I was creating in the first bar....putting the G note to good use here.

The third bar (E7), I'm using B phrygian. I have no idea why. It just sounded right. More often than not it was just a pentatonic though.

Code:
    https://www.geocities.com/robotpajamas/mixophrygian.mp3

Another place I was using a lick similar to the Mama I'm coming home intro but with a different feel to it. Its difficult to use bends and hammerons/pulloffs on the nylon string so the whole lead didnt come out great. I'm more interested in opinion whether I've been able to get that mixo sound happening.

Opinions/discussions appreciated.

2. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

srry didn't quite get u........:eek::

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Man I am jelous of your choice of notes.

But somehow, most of your leads are more happy sounding than sombre (just something I felt).
    On some places I felt that there was some syncing problem with the backing track. Is it software or playing Wink

Around 2/3rd place you play a lick, man that sounds so familiar.

I would've liked even further if you played extremes on the scale, I mean playing teh run/lick with first few note on higher octave and the rest on low octave (or vice versa).

Anyway sicnce you play much better than me, I dont have much to critique.