MIDI and recording primer

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Dec 27, 2005.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Does anybody have info on using MIDI programming and the like? As in how to create a gear rig, create send/return messages to floorboards, etc etc. A website or a book to learn it from scratch would be nice.
    Also what would be a good high-end home studio recording solution? Not just guitar-based but with other mostly synth-based instruments. Live instruments would be limited to vocals, flute, tabla etc.

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ abhi.. I have used a midi interface and a midi keyboard with a software called Reason 3.0 and was able to play and change effects and stuff.. So the Floorboard must be similar.. If you have patience till Jan 17th, I will defiantely give you the full details.. Else you have my number give me a call, i'll explain..

3. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Hi Abhijit
    Try https://homerecording.com/bbs/.

For a decent home recording set-up you would need a good sound card and a mixer with phantom power (for condenser mics) and of course microphones and good recording software like Cubase or Nuendo etc.

p.s: Liked your earlier tagline better: Am a jazz fanatic too. Jazz-rock fanataic actually :)

alpha1 likes this.
  4. abhijitnath

Thanks a lot. Anyone with views on Cubase vs Sonar?
    Didnt change the nick myself:)..it has been kindly changed by the Wizard.
    @ Hindirox- I have used Reason also....can use it properly. I wanted to learn some other stuff (parameter change and CC etc)..but thanks anyway.

5. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

My 1/2 bit: Sonar is way cheaper. The official version, that is.
    Also, can anyone tell me the best software for drum sequencing? I find Cakewalk Kinetic very easy to use. Probably because that's the only one I CAN use :)

6. abhijitnath

I'll get both free..thats not a problem.
    I've used Fruity Loops and Leaf Drums..both are ok though the samples on the latter are bad..you can import samples though. You can hear the results on the song I'd posted in Soundtrack long back.

7. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

i use reason and nuendo in sync, program drums on nuendo only, i think it rocks in any kind of programming or sequencing, never used sonar........i got a home setup with a p m laptop(1 gb ram, 100 gb hdd dvd rw)a tascam us-122 soundcard(very gud quality,usb powered, got phantom, very well priced some 12-13k in delhi),sony 7506 headphones, midi keyboard,etc. if u wanna some high end stuff, u can go 4 motu traveller, nothing better than that, u wont need to upgrade 4 some 5-7 yrs or maybe more (only the soundcard)......., also u'll need a midi out keyboard 4 input, monitors(4 personal use u can use ur hi fi too), a good headphone, and a good mic(dont buy a condenser 4 home, will even pick neibhours yells, buy a shure sm-58 nothing better than that), recording softwares(i use nuendo 3 and reason) and vsti instruments softwares(depends on u original-nothing beats the performance, pirated-well on u, no comments)......i think that completes it, dont think nething missing..................hindirox, please check

8. abhijitnath

Thank you very much. Extremely helpful:)