Mics

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

What mics would you suggest - best for the cheapest possible please, we're pretty much strapped for cash - for metal clean/growled vocals, and seperately for a classical or an acoustic guitar?

Thanks. =D

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

there was a philips md 110 or something like that for around Rs 435...........

3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

You can get Chinese mics for around 5oo Rs..

4. ultrabot90

Yeah, my bandmate bought one a while back. But I'd rather get long-lasting, reliable, and good sound quality stuff.

How good is the SM57 for classical guitar?

5. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

SM5's are really nice mics.
    I use them for the vocalist!

For acoustic guitar a unidirectional mic is not really what you would be looking for.

Get a good condenser stage mic ($150-$2000) or just condensor mics, they will do great.

I dont have much experince with different mics, but this works for me

6. ultrabot90

You mean SM5x (SM57/58)? Or is SM5 another mic, not present on Bajaao?

Condenser mics...this seems okay?

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Guitars are almost always miced with condensers. But they need preamp with pantom power to work and for any decent recording you would need a booth. Plus they are pretty expensive and flimsy.

Sm58 can work for both..

8. flood

flood New Member

the 57 is excellent for cabinet miking.

for acoustic guitar, a dynamic mic will not be as good as a condensor. good condensors are expensive, you can look at the mxl line of condensors, they have pretty good reviews as entry level microphones. musiciansfriend.com is having a mic sale right now, if you have someone in the states coming down anytime, ask them to pick it up.

a cheaper option is to use the SM58 for acoustic guitars and vocals. it will do a decent, if not stellar, job for the former. the MXL condensors are the same price though, if not cheaper. phantom power will be necessary.