Marshall MG10CD or Stranger Cube 20

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambush, May 28, 2006.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Which amp should i get
    The marhall has a built in overdrive channel but the stranger is much cheaper

Is the marshall worth it??

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  2. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

3. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

ive got a marshal mg15cd and its really good...only problem is wen i turn up the gain lvl and volume a bzzzzz sort of voice comes out of the amp...any1 no y??

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Built wise and Quality THE MARSHALL RULES.. Hands DOWN..... But if you like clean tones you wont like the Marshall.. trust me... But if you love Overdrive tones and distorted tones.. You will Love the Marshall.....You will find it diff to get a clean tone form the marshall...

5. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

^ Please.
    Strangers suck Donkey's arse.
    They have absolute pathetic voicing.

Marshall's clean will pwn Stranger's clean any day.
    Marshall's overdrive will pwn Stranger amp + Stranger distortion pedal (which works out to be equal in cost) anyday.

_Ambush_ Dude, the only prob with MG10CD is that you will quiet often reach the maximum volume levels (even in your bedroom setting)

The key for getting good sound out of solid state amp is to run it less than 50% rated output.
    So the Stranger kick's Marshall's arse in this area.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Cryptic....I said " BUILT AND QUALITY WISE MARSHALL RULES HANDS DOWN . "... But Marshalls dont have a good clean tone.... Infact Ritchie Blackmore gave the perfect definnation for Marshall "LOUD".
    Agreed you cant comapre the two Built and quality wise....
    As for DISTORTION on the STRANGER AMPS IT SUCKS BIG TIME.....
    Ambush if you want Clean tones.....consider something else besides Marshall.... I personaly dont like the Stranger Cube 20... It sounds "Plunky"...
    And dont expect to get the quality of a Marshall in a Stranger...

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

How did you find that out so accurately :think: :think: :think:

8. ronnieanand

You are confusing Marshall Tube and Marshall Solid State Amps.. Marshall Solid State Amps have pretty good Clean Tone. Infact a lot of Tube Amps suffer from poor Clean Tones and thats why for Cleans Sounds, the leader has always been the Roland Jazz Chorus Amp which is Solid State. Ritchie Blackmore had a custom built Marshall which was the Loudest Amp made in Marshall history. No wonder he calls is LOUD...

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ronnie I got your point. :) . But I did play a few Marshall Solid State, amps ... I dont recolect whihc ones... But I could not get a clean tone from them.. But yes that was just a couple...Infact to tell you the truth the Only Tube amp I have played till date is the Fender Twin Reverb which Albertos had some time back... I realy liked that amp..... I had concluded that Marshall amps are "LOUD"...
    But any ay back to topic, would the MG10 CD have GOOD CLEAN TONE...I think that was one of the amps I tried...

10. ronnieanand

MG10 is crap. Alpha1 has it and till I played it I never felt it would be that bad. MG15 is miles ahead as compared to MG15. Even though it's just a Rs.1000 for more in price difference but MG15 is far better unless you plan to use it for jam sessions too. MG15 speakers cant take so much volume, so it starts to get worn out. It happened to two of my MG15. Once the speakers wears off, then even the clean sounds will sound like shit.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

MG10 is crap because I run it at full volume + the internals (pots and speaker especially) have eroded out.

12. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

MG10s are pretty ohk... I mean, they're good for beginners, but not good as a full investement.

If you have budget problems, try going in for a second hand Stranger 40 or the Cube 20... And save up for a good pedal / processor... it works way better than a Marshall.

Hmm, I'd like to say that DMF, yeah man, I agree, if you have the cash enough, Roland's kick any SS amp's ass any day...

If you have enough cash for the Marshall MG10, then also do consider a Laney HC, if you're aware of them...

13. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Lol I wouldn't put it that way. Ever heard what a Marshall AVT sounds like? Roland Cubes don't hold a candle to those babies. But I would agree that in this price range, a Roland Cube easily beats out comparable Marshall MGs or Stranger Cubes.

14. ronnieanand

You make any justification....Your MG10 sounds like crap....Fatal Tube never sounded that dull :mad: :mad: :mad: ....

And gimme your Tri Ac to me :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

:banana:

& you can gimme u'r BD2

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The Roland Cubes can sound very digital on most settings. The MG on the other hand sounds nice & natural.

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^^I somehow felt the same when I tried a cube 15 in a shop, but I didnt get too much time to tweak it....it sounded muffled and detached, as digital stuff usually tends to do..
    The MG might not have built in presets, but it feels natural.

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ Mebbe we just didnt tweak em enough....They seem to be getting a lot of good reviews.

19. ronnieanand

Roland Cube has this high gain distortion without much noise. People who are used to processor love this. MG's distortion is very raw. Guys who love vintage music love the MGs overdrive. So it's just a matter of choice. But I personally love the MG.