Marshall Echohead

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sridhar11_2, May 25, 2006.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I received the Marshall Echohead a couple of days ago. It costed me 5k. Finally found someone to get me something from abroad:beer: . I have'nt played a Boss DD-3 but i heard that this one kills the Boss for the price.

First the controls........ It has 6 different types of echo/delay.
    1) Hi fi mode - Made to sound like a digital delay sounds. The repeats are exact and decay is minimum. Good quality sound, very useable.
    2)Analouge mode - Well you guessed it. It's supposed to sound like a Analog delay. It is slightly warmer than the Hi-fi mode but not really cozy. I have'nt played a Analog delay so i cant compare. The repeats die out and become muddy instead of staying exact like in the Hi-fi mode.
    3)Tape echo - I actually could'nt find much difference in this mode and analog mode but if you just hit a chord and stop you'll notice the difference in how the repeats fade. Very nice sounding though.
    4)Multi tap - By far my favourite mode. Think the Edge and U2. Very nice delay.
    5)Reverse mode - Though it says reverse it dont sound like one. I like to hear only the reversed signal but this one plays the original signal then reverses it, which is kinda cool when playing chord progressions but its not the classic hendrix type of reverse which i wanted.
    6) Mod Filter mode - This is another interesting one. The delayed signal undergoes a kinda filter to almost wah it. Sounds more like a waw rather than a wah. Really cool but not prominent enough to make me love it.

Next control is the Time knob - Its got upto 2 secs of delay. Meaning from Slap-back to one whole lick.

Feedback knob - This is really cool cause you can make it repeat once or make it repeat FOREVER:rock: . You can actually use it to loop a sequence (not very well but technically its possible)

One slight problem i face was when after playing for 15 min all the delays started getting fuzzy (more static than fuzz). I thought there was something wrong with the pedal but as it turns out this thing eats batteries like crazy. So i'm now using an adapter and there's no problem now.
    Another bugger is that if you turn the level knob past 4'o'clock it starts to get fuzzy (very slightly but noticeable)

Overall i'm very satisfied with this pedal. It looks cool and is built strong so i have no worries.

I'll post sound clips in some time.
    Cheers:rock:

jocelyn likes this.
  2. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

cud u post a pic?

3. sridhar11_2

4. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

thanx.......

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Oh swell + congrats.

The actual purpose of the tape delay is providing teh warmth of analog delay, but still retaining the clarity.

Besides, in actual tape delay unit, if you change the timing while dealy is on, it should create flutter / wow sounds while transitioning to the new delay time.

Lets see (Hear) the soundclips (both clean and overdrive).
    :rock:

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

:beer:
    Do post clips of it..and are you using their 220V adapter?..a local cheap adaptor can easily make it noisy...

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Congrats dude for long I have been very intrested in Marshall pedals.. especially the Bluesbreaker, Vibratrem and echohead..... thanks for all the info...Enjoy ..... :)

8. sridhar11_2

Thanks. I can actually still create the flutter effect in this.

9. sridhar11_2

Here's the tape echo mode, i'm playing smoke on the water solo. Just a simple delay nothing wild. I'll get to the crazy stuff later.
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1R2G3UY

This is the multi tap. Sounds really good to me. I'm playing an all sweeping piece of music from one of satriani's songs.
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=SOUTFDMA

Here's the wacky reverse delay. I did'nt like the fact that the original signal is played and then reversed but hey what can a guy ask for.
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=SBRYCGY4

Here's another Multi Tap clip. I kinda got carried away here. The delay sounds spacey , lovely aura. Notice how the repeats get harmonized with the following notes and sound almost like i'm using a harmonizer. The delays get clouded but never seem messy.
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=6UGD7KST

10. sridhar11_2

Yes i'm using 220V adapter. Its a cheap local one but its not giving any problems. No noise, no buzz.

11. sridhar11_2

Thanks. The marshall series does seem impressive. I saw video demos of these pedals and i was really impressed by the Bluesbreaker and the Guvnor. I actually wanted a Guvnor but decided against it cause then i'd have 3 drive pedals and nothing else. So i went for the Echohead. No regrets

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    But their Shredmaster is a tinny-whinny overdrive.
    LOL the name conjures up some sort of beast which can give Steve Vai and Joe Satch a run for their tone.
    Still LOL

13. sridhar11_2

14. sridhar11_2

Did anyone check the clips??

15. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

cool sound gud like the Satch one.

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Loved Blues 3 & the smoke solo.

:beer:

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

nice I realyy liked the tone...... Ahhhh now I want to get the stomp box my self......

18. sridhar11_2

Thanks guys. I really dig this box man. Only trouble i've seen in this now is when you max out the repeats (endless delays) it starts to get noisy (static kinda noise - the one you get like you're overpowering your speakers and its crackling). But this occurs only if you max the repeats.

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ hmm that may not be the problem with the Pedal then.. but your amp or speakers.....I could be wrong though..

20. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^i gotta marshall mg15cd and yesterday i was playing wid the gain lvl very high and i hrd a kind of bzzzzzzzz sound dat wud only go away wen i turned th gain volume down....any idea wats happenin?