Mahaganapathim - Carnatic guitar tab

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by ananth222, Mar 2, 2005.

1. floydjunky

floydjunky New Member

Hello Disturbed, I just surfed across this site yesterday.

I do agree that you can't "tab" a carnatic piece, however, you can still get the basic idea out of it. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to be "spoonfed" the nuances of the music, it should come naturally. I can humbly say that I have learnt how to play a varnam and a couple of pieces on the guitar, however, I certainly don't have the patience to tab out what I have learnt, lilke some of you have done. People should stop undermining the efforts of those who wish to help people learn and applaud them for their work.

2. artmyxolydian

artmyxolydian New Member

you do realise that you unknowingly underlined my point?

Displaying ego is important when it comes across ignorance.

Yes, I have scrutinised every note Mandolin Srinivas has ever played. I even met the great man when I was 11.

But how many of us is a Mandolin Srinivas or a Guitar Prasanna ? Have you heard of Shawn Lane kiddo? These people are unique, because they have an understanding of the limitations of the instrument and obviously have a deep-rooted knowledge about Carnatic Music.

Can you reproduce Carnatic Music on guitar? The aforementioned people have. There is a certain methodology involved.

Now, I am free to help anyone interested. But I cant stand misinformed people "guiding" others.

Carnatic Music? A fretless guitar would help, but the conventional one is practically impossible. Heard of the term "nuances"?

Its best to use "elements" of carnatic music rather than play a bunch of bland notes and call it that.

And nuances dont come naturally. They are the result of over 800 years of patient developing and understanding by the greats.

not my 2c

3. floydjunky

floydjunky New Member

What is the aim of your posts here? To try and discredit everyone with your apparent "vaste" knowledge of music? Wow, In the same line you professed that you have studied "every note" that srinivas has ever played, and also questioned my knowledge of Sean Lane? Your point is? If you know these people, than you wouldn't be out trying to tell us that carnatic music cannot be played on the guitar. Not all of us are mandolin Shrinivas's and Prasannas, but for you to be judging people in here is pathetic and anti-social. You aren't the the messiah of music, get over it.

Since you're such an expert on the guitar and its limitations, you would have known that having frets actually enhances the effects of producing "gamakas". If I wanted to play a fretless guitar, I'd strum a violin.

4. artmyxolydian

artmyxolydian New Member

First of all, I did not judge anyone. I didnt claim to have a vast (and not vaste) knowledge of music. And please, for the love of god, I said that Mandolin Srinivas and the rest were experts on the guitar and its limitations, NOT ME. Please, please read my post carefully before frantically replying to it. Are you high on sugar or something?

Whether you like it or not, the guitar is just not suited for Carnatic music. Hell, it wasn't even an instrument meant for melody lines, until the 40's which saw innovators like Reindhardt, Charlie Christian, et al.

Dont mistake me, since you can play a varnam and a few pieces, I can safely say that you havent gone deep enough. Now dont get hyper, I am not saying that I know everything, its just the fact that you've only started off. The thing which separates Carnatic music from any other form of music is Gamakas. These are not mere random bends, but are controlled osciallations.

About the frets enhancing the gamakas, its not just frets, but scallopped frets.

I'll give you an example. Try reproducing Shankarabharanam on the guitar. Get some nice record, MS Subbulaxmi or Semmangudi Srinivas Iyer and try to imitate them. Its not impossible, but very hard. Did you know that there are 4 ways to play the "ma" in Shankarabharanam? Can you try doing it starting from ga, bending to ma and oscillating to pa from ma? In veena, its very simple because it was designed for these sort of bends you get a good grip. Violins and fretless guitars are also well suited, you can slide to and fro. But in a guitar, its not easy.

Why take all the trouble, when you can use elements of Carnatic Music in your music?

And its not "Sean" its Shawn

I hate fragile knowledge

5. floydjunky

floydjunky New Member

Awesome,

I am glad you were around to correct my spelling mistakes, because clearly that proved the fragility of my "knowledge". lol

Listen I am not going to sit around and exchange pointless posts with you, so you can scrutinize my apparent lack of knowledge. Music is supposed to bring a sense of peace and tranquility, and it shouldn't be undermined by people who spend time running around on internet tagboards flexing their egos, and claiming musical expertise.

1. You don't need scalloped frets to play carnatic music on the guitar, unless you plan to play it like a veena. If this is the case, you might as well play a veena.

One who plays guitar like a laser beam (aka shawn lane, steve vai, etc) doesn't make them good musicians but only good guitarists. There's a difference.

6. artmyxolydian

artmyxolydian New Member

and you go practise the one varnam and the other two pieces you know and write a thesis on carnatic music.

edit : You may have your opinions but Shawn Lane and Vai will be remembered long after you are dead - and not without a reason.

7. kevinrv

kevinrv New Member

its a great song eh....good tabs

8. Pranav3

Pranav3 New Member

brother can u post the tabs for the charanam? i tried ur tabs it really worked. plz do post the tabs for the charanam.

9. Pranav3

Pranav3 New Member

r u mad? dont worry i am also mad.

10. Pranav3

Pranav3 New Member

u fool it workz greatly.
    i think u doesnt know how to play tis properly.

11. kasisripada17

kasisripada17 New Member