Lucid Dreaming

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

I wanted to know how many people on IGTians have frequent lucid dreams, want to have them, or are even aware of them. It's a very interesting thing to experience and in real life, I really haven't met an expert lucid dreamer.

For all who do not know what lucid dreams are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Discuss.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't think I want to anymore....my dreams tend to be very dark and foreboding.

Plus I is lazy.

3. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

My dreams r Lucid initially...but as the night progress.......*********

4. Morbid_Angel

As the night progresses they get converted into non-lucid wet dreams?

@bjr
    It doesn't take much of an effort to work out in dreams y'know ^^

5. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

Wet is not the right word....

6. Morbid_Angel

Is it too strong? The word, I mean.

But do you have lucid dreams anyway? And what is the technique you use, or does it come naturally?

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Work out?.

8. Morbid_Angel

well, it was an example. controlling your dreams is not a daunting, strength-consuming task at all.

if you use techniques such as reality checks, laziness does not interfere with the process.

9. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

see waht u think before sleep........comes in ur dreams in 90 % cases....it comes to me naturally

10. Morbid_Angel

dude, that's not how dreams work at all. it's a collection of subconscious thoughts that you've had throughout your day, not something you think of before you fall asleep.
    so thinking of positive things before falling asleep to prevent nightmares seldom works.

11. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Ok back to the topic.
    Yes, but I wouldnt say frequently. I must have had like three or four .. in the span of a couple of months. The experience is quite ineffable. I don't know what causes them. But I did do some research on it, once and ive noted that my experience is always "dream initiated".. (it begins as a dream and eventually i realise i am dreaming)

What made you ask such a question, angel?

12. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

And yes, id have to agree with your last statement. It doesnt matter what you think of before you sleep, your dreams are basically a whirlpool of ideas and emotions that you experienced earlier that day.

But then where does that idea come in?-they say that if you chant lets say, "wake up at 6 am.." you mind automatically becomes like an alarm. And you do get up at 6. Where does this fit in? In your subconsciousness?

13. Morbid_Angel

That's mnemonic induction of a bodily function. This is also somehow related to dreams. Imagine your body clock knows its 6 o clock now, but you're in deep sleep and there's no way you wake up. The only way to do so is in your REM sleep, where you have an inch of consciousness left and realize its 6 am and time to get out of bed.
    And anyway, the chanting thing has never worked for me :p

Also, there is a lucid dreaming technique called MILD (Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams), where you chant things to yourself like, "I will know that I'm dreaming," etc. That has never worked for me either, and research then shows that it only works on certain types of people based on their personality.

14. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

one more thing i experienced........that if u wake up at a sudden shock....means if a door bell rings at 3 at night or anything like that.. when u r in deep sleep.....than the dream (if u were seeing one )...does not vanishes and u remember waht u dreamed of (which is not the case if woke on usual time )...and if u sleep again after few min...than the dream becomes lucid bcoz the mind is half conscious.. half unconscios...waht say

15. Morbid_Angel

yes, that is true. if you wake up during the time of a dream, you almost always remember the complete dream and some details. And those details since you know it was a dream, help you turn lucid if you have the same one again.

there are also different techniques for dream recall. i've tried many of them and now i remember 4-5 complete dreams every night on an average without any effort.

16. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

ohk suppose im dreaming and i realize its a dream... so do i then have control over whts going on or will the dream just carry on randomly as it was?

17. Morbid_Angel

you have total control over your dream. it depends on the amount of lucidity.
    sometimes i can only control myself and sometimes i can control the entire surroundings.
    also, the dream becomes much more vivid for example, the greenery of the trees and brightness of the sun even behind the clouds will actually hurt your eyes. also you can actually fly, spit a fireball and swim above water. ^^

18. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

ah... fun!
    as far as i remember ... i've just had two... but i just wake up as soon as i realise its a dream :\

19. Morbid_Angel

hehe, that is very common. there ways to prevent that as well.

as soon as you realize it's a dream, you could try to spin around as fast as possible. keep spinning on your toes and you will be sent to a new environment with a heartbeat probably 20bpm less :)

20. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

yeah.. or rub your palms