Looking to set up a very basic modelling system

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambush, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I am looking to set up a very basic modelling system. I have not been playing much since my friend took back his stanger amp. I have an Mbox mini interface.

If i have 7000Rs i could either go for a cheap modelling amp, like the Roland or i could get a decent set of consumer speakers. Considering i have an interface i could very well use a modeling plugin and play it though this speaker.

So the situation boils down to how well it will sound through a consumer -- kind of flat -- speakers, compared to a rolands amp. I am assuming that the speakers in the roland are guitar amp speakers, and not flat ones with cab modeling.

I know most opinion here would be toward the amp side, but i would like to get genuine feed back on people who have used software modeling through flat respose monitors.

I would also like to get opinion on the kind of speakers i could get for around 7-8 Ks and also a few amp modeller and cab IRs if possible. I don't need much in the way of tonal veriety -- just a basic high gain model for modern metal and a low gain -- the stevie ray kind-- tone for blues and such.

:rock::rock:

Also on what do i load the IRs. Does Altiverb and similar convolution reverbs support 3rd party impulses. If so, i would be grateful if someone could post links to where i can download them and the IRs.

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I almost forgot about the heads.

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I currently use hardware modeling (Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra) through flat monitors- Adam Audio A5s. The first thing is that you won't get anywhere near flat response from speakers costing 8k..Audioengine A2s are the only reasonably decent ones at that price (and they're not really powered monitors..only one speaker has the amp).The second critical factor is your input- what audio interface are you using? Most cheapo interfaces don't have a good high impedance guitar input, plus the ADC is awful too. What are you planning to use?

Amplitude is very good imho..much better than Guitar Rig. Revalver is good too, but more vintage sounds.
    You can load up third party IRs (Redwirez are excellent, I use them with my Axe FX) into Logic if you have a Mac..I assume the PC ones will load also. Then run Amplitude or GR as an instance in your DAW..done!