longhorn anyone?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by shak, Mar 4, 2005.

1. tejas

tejas ..........

^^ Please try make some sense and please stick to the topic of discussion.

2. silent_dragon

silent_dragon Immortal guitarist

ok ok sorry!!

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

You are still mistaken. Explorer will remain in Longhorn as will Internet Explorer be as deeply integrated into the operating system as it is now. Point me to any source on the web that mentions what you have just said. You won't find any because it is not true.

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

hang on I'll give u the reference u want.

5. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

whats internet explorer?

6. silent_dragon

its a long lost ancient wooden papaya which the wachati tribe of congo worshipped inorder to get themselves healed from diarrhoea. :cool:

7. shak

shak Harrr!

come on silent dragon ...you were told off before by tejas now you are drifting away again!! ... btw ... cant stop myself from laughing ... thats ^ great!
    i think that the IE version 7 is to be released with longhorn ... so yeah ... IE will be there but not the old IE a brand new one ... and i think they might make a few changes to the structure of version 7 ... make it more stable and secure thats it .. .. they cant leave IE cause IE is integral part of windows.

8. death_metal_fan

Internet Explorer 7 will be released as a stand-alone package too (possibly in the later half of this year), but it is also true that it will ship with Longhorn.

Microsoft have always maintained that Internet Explorer 7 will be focussed on security although some of the features that we can expect to see are:

Tabbed browsing (similar to Mozilla Firefox/Opera)

Internet Explorer 7 will be a free download as it has always been.

Possibly Internet Explorer 7 will only be available to Windows XP users who HAVE updated to Service Pack 2.

Again all this is just speculation but it would be stupid for Microsoft to not add tabbed browsing to Internet Explorer if it wants to stem the competition from Mozilla.

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

will it enhance the spyware auto-install feature?

10. death_metal_fan

All I am hoping for in Internet Explorer 7 is that it conforms to W3C specifications for CSS and XHTML implementation just so that I can stop coding a seperate bloody stylesheet for that piece of junk browser.

11. shak

shak Harrr!

i would like ie 7 to kick mac's a.s.s .... kidding ..
    i would like to eat less of my memory .... 12,000 K is just too much ...

12. death_metal_fan

12 MB of RAM usage is actually quite less. Firefox uses about 16 MB with only one tab open. If you open multiple tabs the usage shoots up since it is basically running another instance of the browser in the same window. With 8 or 10 tabs open it is not uncommon to see RAM usage close to 40 or 50 MB. Since Microsoft are planning to implement tabbed browsing in IE7, it is very unlikely that IE7 would take up less memory. In fact I would not be surprised if it takes up close to 60 MB of RAM with multiple tabs open.

13. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah thats what i meant even in standby state it takes up 12 mb of ram ... let alone the tabs and all the featured "extras" ...
    another thing that i forgot to mention was that longhorn beta came on DVD!! .. and it took 4 hours to install on a penitum 2.4ghz machine .... so definitely we are looking at high spec PC's to run the future version of windows ..

14. death_metal_fan

umm haven't you seen Microsoft's hardware recommendations for Longhorn?

Desktop CPU: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with HyperThreading Technology 530 (or higher) or 3 GHz Intel Xeon processor with 2 MB L2 cache, or AMD Athlon 64, Sempron, or Opteron 100, 200, or 800 processor, single or dual-core versions.

Mobile CPU: 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M processor 750 (or higher), or AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, Mobile Sempron, or Mobile Athlon 64 processor.

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more, all platforms.

15. shak

shak Harrr!

damn! ......

16. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

what is that?..... an OS for the supercomputer?.....I'm quite happy with Linux and Firefox.

17. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

now thats somethin maen !!!

18. silent_dragon

but here are some facts abt IE7 which will be scheduled for longhorn too!!

1. IE 7 will be focused on security. Like the version of IE that Microsoft shipped in XP SP2, IE 7.0 will consist, mostly, of security-oriented features. One of these features will be an anti-phishing technology. As Gates noted, "Some of the advances [in IE 7] include things focused on phishing, where people use URLs that appear to come from another location, things related to malware. So, [that] will be another important advance [in IE 7]." IE 7 will also include an IP traffic encryption capability that will help prevent electronic eavesdroppers from modifying data before it reaches your machine or redirecting you silently to malicious servers. "It makes sure that the traffic is encrypted, so there is no eavesdropping or modification that can take place, but it also makes absolutely sure through the use of certificates that the machine that you're connected to is the machine that you want to be able to connect to," Gates noted. Microsoft is also overhauling the IE security zones in IE

2.. NEW! IE 7 will include tabbed browsing. Microsoft will include tabbed browsing, along with other new features, in IE 7.

3.NEW! IE 7 will not include a new Outlook Express version. The OE team is focusing on Longhorn.

4.And at last IE 7 will be free. Like previous versions of IE, IE 7 will be free.

19. mani_rawalpindi

mani_rawalpindi GUNS AND GUITARS

I just installed Long horn beta version. Well it is almost same as Xp.No big changes included.And it is quite heavy.

20. silent_dragon

ya that's gonna be there as mentioned earlier that the long horn will definetly use more memory!!!!