lil help with the tuning reqd.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by The Dark Matter, Jun 27, 2004.

1. The Dark Matter

The Dark Matter Imperceptibly unknown

Hi all,

I have an acoustic guitar but am facing some problems tuning it. I am not able to tune the strings to the corresponding notes. e.g. If I tune the sixth string (Bass E) to note E and then relatively tune the other strings the first one (treble E) breaks before reaching to the E note. :annoyed: Any Ideas, suggestions wud be welcome.. :shock:

Thanks in Advance.

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

The neck cant take the tension of the strings.. Consider using a lighter guage..

3. The Dark Matter

Thanks for that. Could you tell me what gauge string are generally used in Acoustic guitars, as I have no Idea on what gauge I am using now.

Also, could you explain what you mean by 'the neck can't take the tension' cause its really the strings which are not able to cope up with the tension (the 1st one breaks).

Thanks a ton.

4. jayanth

See if you use thicker(Heavier) strings, the neck cant handle the tension in the strings.. May even bend.. The truss rod inside your fretboard will bend. So you use lighter guaged strings.. Ask for the same in a shop you'll get them. And i use

.42 .38 .26 .14 .10 .08 Guage..

5. The Dark Matter

Thanks for the guage nos.

Sorry to be a pain but the question that was bothering me is -- why does the 1st (Treable E) string break; If the strings are heavier they should be able to handle more tension and not break easily. On the other hand if the strings are lighter, they will bill break on realtively low tension. And the neck is doing fine, it is not bending or anything. It is the strings that are not.

Logic says that I should use heavier strings insted of lighter ones since the first one is breaking. Kindly Enlighten me.

Sorry again, but I guess being a physics student develops that outlook to get to the root and not stop till u are clear about something. Thanks in advance for the reply.

6. jayanth

We created this forum when i agreeed to answer your Gear related questions. So you should not feel bad asking. I will be happier to answer..

Ok back to your question.
    See when you use heavier guage, The pull in the truss rod will be extreme.. So the pull in your strings will be high.. So the snapping probability is high. But when you use lighter guage, The truss rod will be less tensed. So strings wont snap.. If you think that snapping of strings has something got to do with its thickness, then its partly wrong. It happens when thinner strings get old.. But not when you have truss rod problems.. See using Heavy guaged strings may lead to a slight bend in the fretboard. Which cannot be rectified. Especially on Indian guitars. I have never dared to keep heavy guage strings on My hobner. I use them for a show remove the and put the light guage ones back. You can always customize your guage if you know the guitar shop guy well..

7. The Dark Matter

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it and get back to you.

8. jayanth

Sure sure... Glad to help..

9. The Dark Matter

Hey Jayanth

Could you (or anyone) give me an idea of where can I find the light strings in Delhi. I live in Jaipur and am a bit sceptic about finding these in here.

Thanks

10. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

I've never seen the need for heavy guage strings, barring Jumbos. What say Jayanth?

Raj

11. jayanth

I use heavy strings when the guitar is good.. My Hobner will not stand those.. I've played on Signatures of my friend and i used Heavy Strings on them. Sounded cool..

12. The Dark Matter

A little assistance please. :eek:

13. jayanth

trying to locate stores in Delhi.. Please wait..

14. nimra_guitar

nimra_guitar New Member

u may buy an equipment called 'guitar tuner' its avaible in the markets.... its like a box type thing with holes, u play those holes and u tune the strings:) easy, and the holes sounds like harmonian but they rnt:) its for newbies

15. jayanth

Ok what Nimra is reffering to is called a Pitch pipe.. That would lead to to it easily..

16. The Dark Matter

Hey Jay,

I have been to this store called A Godwin & co., estd: 1900, at CP in Delhi, but even they were unable to provide light strings any ideas on where can I find them around.

One more thing, I am planning to buy a Hobner. Could you tell me about the price and stuff. Also, are there any logos/symbols of authenticity (as there is a lot of duplication that goes on). One of my pals wants a Gibson SG, where can we get these?? :shock:

Thanks.

17. jayanth

No.. No one can make a duplicate Hobner.. Anyways they cost anywhere between 2000 to 3500 to 4000.. Go for the 3500 one of model number 265..

18. The Dark Matter

Thanks Jay. One more question about the light strings. You are from Bangalore right? Can I get these light strings from some place there, as I have friends there. If yes do let me know the add. and phone... :)

Thanks a ton..

19. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

If your in delhi, the only place you should go for guitar equipment is bharat musicals... they have two shops in Lajpat nagar and 1 in panchkuiyan near CP... try there

20. The Dark Matter

Thanx I'll give it a try. what bout Bangalore?