Life of a guitar strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by enable_vipin, Mar 26, 2006.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

old strings for me, While reading this thread a bizzare thought just occured to me. I think I've replaced more allan keys than strings. One of the coolest things about a Floyd Rose bridge is it lets you get away with murder especially if you're a compulsive string bender like myself. Nowadays I dont even bother locking the nut since I don't use the bar and what do you know I don't break any strings. Thinking back I must have 9 times in 10 broken my string at the nut itself. Try to remember, I'm sure its the same for you. Will miss that on a hardtail...

As for the original question; Twirl one of the wound strings between your fingers so you can see the part of the string that rubs against the frets(underside). If the winding has gone flat, its time to change.

And your fingers are hurting because your action is too high. You either need a truss tweak or a bridge adjustment. My advice don't do it yourself if you haven't done so before

2. enable_vipin

enable_vipin Rhythm_Guitarist

well everybody is telling me that my action is too high..and really i dont know what u people are tallking about..plz explain this to me...

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

simply put Action is the height between your strings and the fretboard.

A high action means your strings are very(too) high and that means you have to press down on the strings rather hard to hear a sound. If your neck is warped (bent) then you need to adjust the truss rod to straighten it.

try this: with your left hand press down the first fret of the 6th string and with your right hand press just after the last fret. Now if you look at the frets in between they should all be barely touching the string or just away from it. If the neck is warped, you'll notice a bow shape ( the middle fret will be much further from the string than the end ones) then you need to adjust your truss rod (if you have one).

On acoustics (Indian ones) the guitars body itself is likely to warp. This raises the bridge and thus the action.

PS. One thing I learnt about truss rods the hard way :- Never do more than a quater turn at a time

Take your guitar to a store or knowlegable friend and tell them you'd like a low action on the guitar. There should be no problem adjusting it

4. enable_vipin

enable_vipin Rhythm_Guitarist

@tallkien thanks man... i think this is the problem which causing pain in the fingers..cuz i have noticed that the strings are very far from fretboard at the end of rod...so may be i need to repair my guitar...thansk again for quick response...