Life of a guitar strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by enable_vipin, Mar 26, 2006.

1. enable_vipin

enable_vipin Rhythm_Guitarist

hey guys..what is the life of guitar strings..when to replace the old strings with newer one..

2. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

electric or acoustic???

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

its good practice to change strings about once every two months, if you can afford it. :)

4. enable_vipin

for accoustic..

5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

acoustic> anywhere between 3 weeks to 1.5 months!

6. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

change ur strings wen they sound DEAD.if u know wt i mean>>
    electric strings have along life .
    acoustic>>depends on how much u play it>

7. enable_vipin

guys actually im feeling that the strings are too hard..to play..meri fingers dard karne lagti hain...jub main bar chords bajata hoon..

sound to theek aa rahi hai....

8. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

That might not be due to the age of springs. It could be that you are using a thicker string guage. Try using light strings, the thinnest one should be 0.09mm thick and the thickest one (Low E) should be between 0.42 to 0.52 mm.

9. vini

vini Repeat Offender

^^ +1
    and vipin..learning guitar can be a little painful..i've heard that some people even get their fingers bleeding...but u take it figuratively! :) keep practising and give urself a break when ur fingers start aching..practise and be patient!

10. enable_vipin

thanks everybody...

11. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the cause of your fingers hurting may also be that your action is too high. check.

12. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

apply a thin layer feviquick on ur fingers, let it dry and then play the guitar.

no kidding but it hurts less.

13. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

What an idea.:shock: :shock: :p:

14. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

It is a rule that you change your Acoustic guitar strings after every 20 hours of play

no matter if u dont play them for 20 hours in one go.........1 hour every day.......n u can use them in their best condition for 20 days.................. that rule is to get best sound out of ur guitar.........but normally ppl change it after 2 or 3 months depending on what quality of strings u have and how much do u play every day and how do u play them

i have ovation applause electro acoustic bought in october 2005........n i havent yet changed the strings........strings used are of Adamas brand........they sound still good.......apart from both E and e string which are not quite upto my expectations at the moment.......................n i normally play around 3 to 4 hours everyday........n im gonna change it next week............

on the final note it also depends on the condition of the strings n the place where u live...........for example if u r living in karachi or mumbai which are coastal cities.........the strings would get rusty alot sooner than if u were anywhere else...........so u've to see if they are gettin rusty then they are no more useful........

there is no specific answer to this thats y i've mentioned both the RULE and a normal PRACTICE

i hope that helps!

cheers
    Khurram

15. south_of_heaven

south_of_heaven New Member

one good way of fixing ur strings are by taking them off, put them im boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then blowdry them. it is very important to blowdry them. use a hair dryer or something similar. if this isnt done the strings will break easily because the moisture would still be in the strings. once it has been blowdried, you're ready to rock. the strings feel much nicer and softer.

16. enable_vipin

thanks everybody...

17. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I learnt a whole new bunch of stuff about strings.. and some very interesting ones like the feviquick and the blowdrying etc...
    anyways I change acoustic strings when they break!! It shouldnt be done this way but I bend them a lot and they break every week or so...
    Otherwise a month should be good for getting new strings!!

18. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Good stuff .... everyone

Really enjoyed reading it :)

19. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Have you ever noticed old strings sound better than newer strings especially in acoustic guitar. This is my personal experience. i haven't you used a branded strings however the tone produces by a used strings is much better than new strings. Also, as most of you know the more thicker strings are the more better tone you get.

20. enable_vipin

well in my case ..i think new strings produce better sound as compare to old strings..varna koi strings change he kyun karega...