Lesson Two : Sliding And Bending

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by jayanth, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Introduction To Slide And Bending

1. Forward Slide
    Even though its not called so, I had to name it so that it could be understood. Forward sliding is very commonly used by lead guitarists all over.
    Sliding gives a rich tone to the movement of a note. It is represented by (\) in the tab structures. Forward slide can be achieved by playin a note
    and moving your fingers smoothly to the fret to be slided to. Sliding is done from a lower note to a higher note. In the example below, In the beginning ,
    you slide from the 7th fret on the fourth to the 9th fret. YOu have to play the 7th Fret on the 4th String and move the finger smoothly to the 9th.
    It gives a rich tone to the change of note. Also keeping in mind that the movement of the fingert from the 7th to the 9th should be in co-ordination
    with the song tempo.

2. Backward Slide
    This is the exact opposite of the Forward Slide. It is represented by (/) in tabulatures. Here the higher note is played first and then the finger is
    moved to the lower note. In the example below, this is used when sliding from the 12th fret on the 1st string to the 10th fret.

3. Bending Up
    Bending is done to increase the pitch of a note abnormally. This is used when half a note is on one pitch and the other half is on a higher pitch
    close to the previous one. It is represented by (^) in tabulatures. Bending can be done quite easily though there are some tricks i want to share.
    Bending using Index finger is simple when its an electric guitar. When it comes to the acoustic guitar, the strings and quite tough to bend. But
    Here's is what you can do. Bend using the third finger(ring Finger) and take the support of the index and the middle finger. So here is what you
    actually do. Hold the note to be bent using your Ring Finger and use all the three finger to push the string up. Ok coming back to representation.
    So you see this 10^12. Here is how you find out how much to bend. You play the 10th Fret. Then you play the 12th fret. note the pitch difference.
    And then you play the 10 and bend it till you get the pitch of the 12th. when going along with the song, You have to leave the Bend abruptly.

4. Bending Down (Not used Here)
    This is used to bring down a bend note neatly insteadly of abruptly. Its represented be (V) in tabs. From the example below, If we have to bring down
    the note, It would have been represented as 10^12v10. So you bend the 10th note to the 12th pitch and release it slowly back to the 10th pitch. These
    are widely used in leads especially in mellow leads.

Here is a little snippet from
    Steve Vai's - For The Love Of God.

-------------------12/10----------------10------
    --------10-10\12----------12--8--10^12-----10---
    ------7-----------------------------------------
    --7\9-------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------

Try out this song, These are easy techniques clubbed with my previous lesson you can build up your own leads

2. alli

alli The Best Ever

nice work - merci :beer:

3. jayanth

Thanks Alli.. I was hoping someone would read.. He he..

4. alli

alli The Best Ever

im always around...no worries...(i dont have an option...sigh...)

5. alli

alli The Best Ever

that was in context to boredom... "im bored ".. be4 u ask me .."what ??? " hehe

6. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

hey jayanth, of course i read that post before. but these were some things i understand already, so didnt say something like "what a wow post, oh u've cleared all my doubts! oh my saviour i bow down to thee for pulling me out of this mire :nw: "

:p :p

but really man, i wish u to post a lot more on solos and scales... thats what i'm supposed to be learning next.

7. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

i'd like to mention... i'd prefer some acoustic solos for now... i mean i don't own my gibson les paul electric yet, so till then will have to make do with my givson jumbo acoustic. ;)

8. jayanth

THanks So much Alli... He he..

9. jayanth

What ??? :confused:

10. jayanth

Hey Prash.. Glad i could help. I will put up a good acoustic solo soon...

11. alli

alli The Best Ever

u guys shud have been in bbay mann/...i culd use a few free tutions... but this is good enuff....this site rocks...

looking forward to tht acoustic solo..if not too tough i shall try it too ..

12. jayanth

I came to Bambay in Feb hehe..

13. alli

alli The Best Ever

lemme know ur next trip down.....

14. jayanth

April 14th.. I'm coming there and leaving the same afternoon. Gives me about 5 minutes of rest.

15. alli

alli The Best Ever

i meant..next trip when u got atleast more than 5 mins of rest...duh...

16. jayanth

OK will Tell you..

17. guitaristpiyush

guitaristpiyush New Member

please can anybody tell me how to use vibrato nad capo

18. jayanth

Vibrato is used when you want a single note to vary differentially but quiclky.. If you are talking about the whammy bar then its used t obend notes better than the finger bending.. I capo is used t otune a guitar higher even when the actualy tuning is low. A capo helps in simplifying the playablitlity of chords.. Also used when you are singing along with guitaring..

19. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

its capo some type of TUner .. ??
    or we can TUne capo style by our self ??

20. jayanth

No they are tqwo different things..
    A capo can on help yoiu to make your tuning higher.. It does not help the Basic tuning of the guitar..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.