Laney LX 12 or Marshall MG10CD

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ambush, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

2. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

laney all the way.. marshall mg series sucks..

3. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

^+10000000000000000000000000

although i think the laney LX12 is out of stock. I tried buying one in december and ended up with a microcube

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Marshall MG series suck?

LOL

Are you a tube head?

As far as I have obrserved, the MG series distortion is one of the closest to a real 80s tube marshall head.
    Laney is nowhere as near.

The only plus in favour of Laney is that it is 15w compared to 10w of Marshall.
    and that it has 8" spekaer instead of 6".

I would suggest MG15CD or MG15CDR.

6. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Im not a tube head but i still think MGs suck! ^ Then looks like i dislike tube amps because i despise the marshalls and how much they are selling for. Waste of money

7. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^^ The MG's have the most natural and transparent overdrive among the low end amps. U just have to sit and work with them to find a decent tone. The MG10CD is crap though. The MG15 onwards are decent amps. They also sound decent with pedals. I'm not saying they are great, but they are the best of the budget solid-state amps.

Roland Cubes and Line6 Spiders have shitty digital tone.

@Alexi -- Not sure what u just said, but are u saying that tube amps are a waste of money? If so, which tube amps have u played to decide something like that?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    So here I guess it boils down to whether you want a rock tone or a metallish tones.

Alexi prefers metallic tones. Hence the rock tone would sound utter crap to him (like MG).
    As far I I know - I prefer rock"ish" tone.

Most probably even Double click also prefers rockish tones.

So Ambush, I guess this small debate has turned out to be a good differentiation point between MG and LX.
    :p

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

The LX wins hands down on cleans. Its speaker is loads better. And if he is gonna put in a processor or a pedal, who needs the OD channel on SS amps?

10. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

@alpha.. absolutly correct.. its about what tone ur looking for, i personally find the mg series crap after spiders

11. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The spiders and cubes are shitty. Period. Doesnt matter what sort of tone ur trying to get. U may like the spider amps initially, but once u start to really play with them and listen to the tones, u'll realise how lousy they are.

I havent really tested the LX series yet, so no comment.

U'd have to be pretty dumb (or broke) to try and get metallish tones using the overdrive of an MG.

@LSD - The OD channel may not matter when using pedals, but most SS amps (cubes/spiders) dont take pedals well. THAT matters.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Strictly speaking if one is gonna use a processor or a pedal that has built in emulator, then its better to buy a flat voiced amp like Stranger or some keyboard amp having just cleans.

That way it would turn out to be more economical and more powerful too.

13. Double Click

Double Click New Member

True, but most stompboxes dont have cab sims, and the cab sims on procs generally suck.

The speakers used in the Stranger amps arent very good... I'd like to see how they sound with a good speaker. Emulator + modded stranger might be a pretty good combo.

I managed to try the Power Engine 60. Its a flat voiced amp meant to be used with sansamps. A friend of mine uses it for his POD XTL. It was pretty much the best tone I've ever heard coming from a POD..

14. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Agreed. I would like to see what a modded stranger sounds like

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Actually i am looking to buy an amp because i am tired of the emulator on my Digitech RP80

I currently dont have an amp, I use an old computer speaker with cabinet emulation and i am not able to set the right tones. Can a 10 or 15 watt amp give me a better idea of how a tone will sound like on stage??
    I dont really care for the inbuilt OD or distortion, so tonewise which one is better?

16. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

Laney LX series is the worst series! I have played it and it sounds crap! Marshall MG is bad but not that bad. At least it can offer a good solo tone than Laney!

17. srakshit

srakshit New Member

^^ I had modded a little cube 20 and a monkey with a screwdriver could do it in 10 minutes.

I had replaced it with a 8" philips speaker and put in a kick grille on the front.

I didn't like the results so much, but the guys in my band liked it.

I sold that amp years ago, but from what I remember the sound became much brighter and 'flatter', which may appeal to some of you. I hated the spiky treble from the Phillips speaker and had to cut the tone control to zero to get some tone out of it.

OTOH the effects from the Zoom (which I sold along with it) became much more easy to hear.

I guess if you find the stranger muddy this might be a good mod.

My current amp is pretty nice, very good rock tone. Don't play it much though, haven't played an electric in a bloody long time.

Haven't heard the laney but I had heard both the MG10 and MG15, and I didnt like either of them. I picked up the Stranger and held out till I could afford the better, bigger amp. That was six years ago, now I'm sure there are good options but IMO the bigger speakers just go fatter and crunchier.

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ Bingo! Thats pretty much what I thought would happen. That what happens when u put a full range speaker in a guitar amp. The stranger's lack of proper voicing is what made the tone too bright. The cab sim on the Zoom being shitty wouldnt have helped either.

If u have a good cab sim, it would prolly go very well with an amp like that.

19. srakshit

srakshit New Member

Actually it wasn't full range sound - I know what that sounds like. It wasn't as fuzzy as full range normally is, but the tone was very bright.

OTOH, tone is waaay too subjective. It's like trying to describe taste or a painting. Everybody's perception is different, whch is why I guess the OP needs to try out both and figure which is best.

20. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I cant do that cause both of these are unavailable in my city. will have to depend on Bajaoo...

ok, new question
    How does the stranger cube20 compare to the laney LX12??, I've disregarded the marshall cause it doesn't seem to have a 3-band EQ