James Murphy- Convergence

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by Mr. Scary, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Convergence

Whether you’re an Obituary, Death or even a Testament fan; James Murphy is a man that needs no introduction. He has proved to be one of the most influential metal guitarists to be discovered. Faithful fans will not be disappointed with his solo career, because the last thing Mr. Murphy has lost is his signature sound and style.

If you thought, Murphy was only capable of playing death metal, this album proves you wrong! On this album, James took a more melodic approach to his song writing, but still sticks to his heavy edge and style. This album is divided into being- half instrumental while the remaining tracks are songs feature guest vocalists such as Devin Townsend and Chuck Billy (Testament). Guest musicians such as Greg Howe (guitarist) throw in their contributions of sheer talent in selected songs.

Track List/Rate

1 - Since Forgotten (5/5)
    2 – Convergence (5/5)
    3 - The Last One (4/5) <-love the solo on this track!
    4 – Vision (4/5)
    5 - Touching the Earth (5/5)one might get tired of the intro, but a kick ass song nevertheless
    6 - Red Alert (5/5)
    7 - Deeper Within (5/5)love the vocals on this one!
    8 - Shadow's Fall (5/5)
    9 -Tempus Omnia Revelant (4/5)

Overall Rating: (5/5)

James Murphy - Guitars, Production, Engineering, Mixing
    Deen Castronovo:Hail: - Drums
    Brad Russell - Bass
    Chuck Billy - Vocals on "Touching The Earth"
    Devin Townsend - Vocals and Keys on "The Last One", Vocals on "Since Forgotten"
    Eddie Ellis - Vocals on "Deeper Within"
    Eddie Head - Second Guitar Solo on "Deeper Within"
    Greg Howe - Second Guitar Solo on "Red Alert"
    Matt Guillory - Keyboards on "Touching The Earth", "Shadow’s Fall", "Vision" and "Read Alert"
    Michelle Rae Dean - Additional Backup Vocals on "Touching The Earth"

For any Heavy Metal fan, to get this is a MUST!

SAMPLES:

I figured you could get a sense of what the album is like. I couldn’t host any samples but you can find short 30 second to 1 minute clips here: https://www.guitar9.com/convergence.html

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Good job. Nice work with the samples. Got me interested.

3. Mr. Scary

thanks! hope you explore and enjoy the album.

4. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

that was short n sweet. i liked it. gud job.

5. Mr. Scary

thanks!

try and get the album! its worth it!

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I bought this album around 7 or 8 years back and listening to this at least once a month. That's quiet a lot after having it for around 8 years :). I was addicted to Touching The Earth. The intro is a bit too long but the song is terrific. Chuck Billy rocks in his ballads. Check out Return To Serenity, Ballad, Trail Of Tears, etc...
    His next album Feed The Machine didn't live upto the quality of Convergence.

7. ronnieanand

Also check out the ending to Vision. Total Chaos. Dean Castronovo has done a great job as always. The bass was pretty weak compared to the guitar and drums.

8. Mr. Scary

^ hah right on!

9. ronnieanand

Listen to James Murphy in Testament - Gathering. Kick A.s.s. The drummer Dave Lombardo is a Super God. Some great songs and some usual got lost in Noise Making. Neverthless a great and super heavy album.
    Listen to Murphy in Cause of Death - Obituary, especially on the solo of the title track. Terrific, emotional and melodic in a death metal song. That was great. One of the most under rated guitarist :mad:

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Agree with everything you said. Also want to point out that Dave Lombardo is also the drummer for Slayer...but you probably knew that..... :rockon:

11. Mr. Scary

James kicks ass on Spiritual Healing too. I have almost all albums that feature him on guitar...i really wanna check out his Disincarnate stuff.

hey ronnie, did you take a listen to Foreign Objects?

12. ronnieanand

People know Lombardo as a drummer for Slayer more than a drummer for Testament.
    Ok one interesting stuff for you guys.

Metallica was touring somewhere and Lars Ulrich got sick, so they called in Dave Lombardo to fill his shoes and also to play the drums ;). So Dave Lombardo was a drummer for Metallica for 2 shows I guess.

Scary, I haven't heard Spiritual Healing. Infact I haven't heard much of Death. Do you have any of his Disincarnate stuffs. I heard a few tracks long long back and I dont remember how it was.

13. Mr. Scary

Disincarnate is all out technical death metal. Foreign Objects is what you could call "modern heavy metal"...not to mention james is joined by some members of CKY in this band....yes CKY....even though, they make amazing music.

James Murphy on guitar, that itself makes it worth it checking those bands.

14. ronnieanand

I knew Disincarnate is Technical Death Metal. How are the songs though. I have heard reviews that it's one of the best James Murphy's work. I haven't heard his work with Konkra but have heard his album with Cancer. Cancer is a thoroughly dumb band.
    What is CKY.

15. Mr. Scary

CKY is a band, horrible music... but some of the band members went and joined up with Murphy in FO. Yeah i heard some Disincarnate stuff, pretty bad ass.