is it possible to do a new paintjob on an electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Sumanovo razor, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

if yes then where...and how much will it cost

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Majority of Electric guitar is nothing but a piece of wood.
    How could you even dare to think that its NOT possible to paint it?

Of course you won't paint the strings ...

For cost, just talk to a local carpentar/painter. He will tell better (and cheaper too).

3. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

i dont think it is possible to re paint all the electric guitars...coz then in that case one can re paint the gibson les paul studio so that it looks like a traditional standard version...

4. wylder

wylder Member

As long as the old paint comes off when using a sander, you can re-paint a guitar. That said, you (or your carpenter/mechanic/painter) better know what you are doing 'cause there is quite a difference between painting a car/walls and painting a guitar.

Btw, if your guitar is a good one then you better maintain the original paint if you want resale value.

You could repaint a studio but you would have to add bindings to the neck and body. Then you would have to replace the plain maple top on the studio with a book-matched flame maple top and then carve it to shape and stain the wood. You would then have to paint it with the burst colors for 4 or 5 coats and then finish it with numerous clear coats to give it the 3D depth of a well finished top. To me, that sounds like risky project.

5. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Why paint...Just leave it like that. the older it gets the better it looks IMO....

6. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Errrrrrrrr, reading the procedure posted by wylder itself scares the shit out of me,
    I would leave my guitar as it is, I love the worn look anyways.......:)
    Moreover its a ******* (atleast to me) to re-paint a guitar,
    I would never do that.....and ofcourse not to mention the intricacies that involve when painting a guitar.
    Sanding, painting, buffing, etc etc, if you have the tools and are good at it, it may make some sense (still not)....