info on electric required

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by divyanshu, Sep 6, 2005.

1. divyanshu

divyanshu New Member

wanted to know the technicals on the electric guitar, how do you porperly use the pickup selector for the desired effect.

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ummm ...

assuming u have two pickups ... one is bridge (near to the bridge) and neck (which is near to the neck) ...

bridge pickup produces sharper sound ... neck is for more mellow sound ...

u wanna play pinch harmonics ... use the bridge pickup ... u want nice smooth round sound - use trhe neck pickup ....

acoustic kinda sound is better achieved using the neck ....
    wheras for metallic sound it is better to use bridge ...

but then experiment and let the coice rest on your ears ...

3. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

hey ssslayer..
    how come u know all this ...i have been palyin guiatar for almost 4 yrs(though an accoustic )..i nvr had any clue about the above mentioned stuff.I purchased an electric tronad 2 months ago...But couldnt get the best out of it.
    Now after ur snippets pbly i can improve...
    thannks

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well thats coz i have had electric guitar for 1.5 yrs ... :grin:
    a very bad analogy of the sounds from pickup can be drawn by comparing to sound got from striking the pick at different locations ...

if u pick close to the neck u get more mellow sound ... closer to vbridge will result in sharper sound ...
    almost similar thing happens on selecting the pickup ...
    however in elec guitar u can get even rounder sound by switching on the neck pickup + picking near the neck ...

if u lick very sharp sound switch on the bridge pickup and play very close to the bridge ...

elec guitar is quite versatile in producing diff sounds ... :)

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If you've got 3 single coils and you want an acoustic kind of quality to your sound just set the tone to the max use the middle and bridge pickup and set back the volume a bit maybe 5-8. I use this setting for chord passages.

I remember the first time i started playing electric the only sound i liked was the bridge pickup but soon got past it and started exploring the sonic capabilities of the electric.

Just some advice - For distortion playing rolling back on the volume will cause decrease in distortion as the Volume knob acts like a GAIN CONTROL.

The middle pickup is like a compromise between the neck and the bridge so it's great for songs that require articulation yet a hint of brittleness for example songs like Creed- Higher , One last breath

Neck pickup - Deep Purple : When a blind man cries.

Check out these songs and you'll know what i mean.

Hope i helped

6. shak

shak Harrr!

pinch harmonics depend on the position of the pole of the pickups adn actual scale length etc.. i get better pinch on my neck pickup :S ...
    bridge is for more treble neck is for mellow bluesy tone..if you have an lp style spilt coil wiring then select both pickups and mess around with the volume .. in my LP i get all sort of voweled sounds from the mix of two ... like wooooooooaaaa ..... and so on ... i post later in dtail

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@shahrkh i better pinch harmonics on my treble pickup ( bridge)

anywayz 4 playing heavy stuff like pantera and metallica riffs u'll try the BRIDGE pickup
    but 4 solo's i use da neck or mid 1's
    get a warm KINDA strat tone on my GIVSON blue diamond

8. divyanshu

divyanshu New Member

thanks a lot guys.