Indian Bird Flu Panic

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Navapur, Maharashtra: Two days after the bird flu hit northern Maharashtra in this poultry town with over a million laying birds, multiple methods are being used to cull chicken, even as state animal husbandary secretary Uttam Khobragade today claimed that poultry farmers themselves had already destroyed five lakh birds.

Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh yesterday stated that nine lakh birds need to be culled and the task would be accomplished by this evening. But the ground situation here is altogether different, with livestock developments officials saying around 25,000 birds had been killed up to this morning, and the total could go up to 40,000 this evening.

https://web.mid-day.com/news/nation/2006/february/131330.htm

Are you still eating chicken?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Tell me about it. No eggs or chicken for at least a week :'(

3. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

yeah,today we din get eggs in our college canteen too :'(

4. shak

shak Harrr!

misconception ^
    this type of bird flu virus is not food-borne virus .. it is safe to eat poultry products as long as you cook them thoroughly (no mayo! *sniff*) but even if you dont cook thoroughly, still it wouldnt really effect you ..
    humans catch this disease only due to "close contact" with brids .. so if you dont live near a poultry farm .. or a pond .. chances of you dyin due to h5n1 are slim (damn)
    human to human transfer is also so mild that it cant really start a pandemic ..
    however ... care must be taken .. but dont give up zingers

and the source https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3422839.stm

5. Hardik

^thanks for the link...but what i meant was that no one was buying eggs/chicken today due to fear,and dumb ppl like me believe that its better to take every precaution we can ...

From the source:
    "Birds excrete the virus in their faeces, which dry and become pulverised, and are then inhaled."

guess we are pretty safe then till we remain away from bird poo:p:

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I had heard dat Its a VIRUS which affects BIRDS .. I mean .. It is harmful for BIRDS .. Not dat Its harmful for Human beings if we eat Well cooked Birds as shak said .. Some more light :Worried:

7. Hardik

^^read da link shak gave...

8. shak

shak Harrr!

well i dunno much about it but from what i haev read ... its actually a bird virus but when it comes in contact with human dna it mutates and makes a a new virsu strand that is harmfull to humans ... :S

9. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

interesting and wierd. so, no one's going to drive cars in india anymore? (indian cars have so much bird poo that it probably takes away wuite a bit from the mileage:nw:)

10. Hardik

^indian cars have bird poo??...i am lost...

have seen bird droppings on cars but how does it effect the mileage??

11. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

it hasnt hit Mumbai yet...

btw...Mutton sales are soaring up...and chicken sales have come down

12. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

true:cool:

kasaayi ho???:p:

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

yes, we've known all that for a while now but you miss the fact that we're all paranoid.

14. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

i am a vegetarian.....so, no problem for me....but i feel sorry for all the birds that have to be killed:cry2:

15. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I don't get all the hype surrounding this bird flu ....ok i know it's deadly but

no. of "cases" of bird flu since 1997 till date all over world = 147
    no. of people dying of bird flu since 1997 till date all over world = 96
    no. of people dying of malaria every year all over world = about 1 million

These r WHO figures....now what deserves more coverage and efforts?...

16. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^If the bird flu mutates into a virus which can be transmitted from human to human, it will outnumber malaria in terms of number of deaths.....fast. The 1918 flu wiped out a major part of the population.

17. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

ok now some info on my behalf on that disease
    click here to learn more abt that

18. light_of_erindi

Ya... i know the flu virus is very unstable...still it's been 9 years since first detection...and it was probably existing long before that...but no mutation as of now....right now....ur it's more probable to get malaria than bird flu.

19. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Probability is not a defining factor when it comes to endemics or pandemics. The probability might be a 0.1 for all it matters, but heaven forbid it came true, we'd have a MAJOR problem on our hands, other problems not withstanding. And the age old adage, prevention better than cure, aye?

20. light_of_erindi

"Avian influenza in humans can be detected reliably with standard influenza tests. Antiviral drugs are clinically effective in both preventing and treating the disease."

This qote is from the same site.