Index finger and thumb issues

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Varunendra, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Varunendra

Varunendra New Member

Hey,
    I have been guitaring for 4 years..obviously not extremely regular but good enough. I have been observing that each time i try playing slightly fast leads or say playing palm muted riffs like of the song Laid to rest by lamb of god, I am able to play the stuff but my index finger of the plectrum hand becomes red and pains moderately. I thought the issue is that i put a lot of pressure on the plectrum when trying to play fast so i played slowly and checked. Yes i had no pain but the problem is that how long do i keep playing slow......my finger automatically gets tempted to play at that fast speed and voila the pain begins lol.

Also while playing barre chords, I am 100% sure that my technique is right and all the notes ring evenly when i barre but say after 2-3 minutes of strumming barre chords my thumb pains Excruciating. I literally feel like cutting off my thumb in dismay.

Can anyone please guide me as to what are my problem areas with the index finger and thumb.

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

How do you hold the plectrum? The best way to hold it is between your thumb and the side of the index finger (beyond the last knuckle) where your index finger basically points in the direction of the tip of the plectrum. The gentlest of pressures will keep the pick in place.

If you hold it between the tips of your index finger and thumb you will stress the last joint on your finger which is possibly why your finger aches.

As for your thumb pain while barring chords, are you sure you're not applying excessive pressure? The string only needs to touch the fret not the fretboard. So fretting as close to the actual fret as possible will reduce the pressure you have to apply.

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

How do you hold the plectrum? The best way to hold it is between your thumb and the side of the index finger (beyond the last knuckle) where your index finger basically points in the direction of the tip of the plectrum. The gentlest of pressures will keep the pick in place.

If you hold it between the tips of your index finger and thumb you will stress the last joint on your finger which is possibly why your finger aches.

As for your thumb pain while barring chords, are you sure you're not applying excessive pressure? The string only needs to touch the fret not the fretboard. So fretting as close to the actual fret as possible will reduce the pressure you have to apply.

4. Varunendra

Varunendra New Member

Hi i think im holding it the way uve mentioned...im trying to change now and i find the plectrum is falling off.......yeah i noticed i put a lot of pressure on the thumb while barring..but even if i consciosuly put less pressure and barres till after 2 min i get the pain...