Improvising on a Nylon String 2

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by bjr, Dec 23, 2005.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'm back from dialup to broadband and I have a lot of catching up to do with all your compositions....starting with Dharmatma's clip which I can't seem to find(dude, PM me the link or something).

Anyway, I played this about a month after the 1st instrumental that I had posted. It was, once again, just a recorded practice session hence the crappy quality. I also tried to do a couple of things differently....like imposing a single arpeggio on 4 different chords and was quite pleased with the results.

Those were my personal thoughts....now it's your turn. Critique away, fine people:

https://www.geocities.com/robotpajamas/improv2.mp3

Any feedback that you give on playing ability, licks, connectivity, self-assesment etc. will be appreciated.

And I was kidding in the CC lounge when I said that I posted this to boost my ratings.

aeg0, Hardik and anshphenomenon like this.
  2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

simply beautiful!!!!!!
    superb!!!!
    awesome!!
    :beer:
    reps is the least what i can do...
    but its much more than that....

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

dude, thanks a lot. I was hoping for something more in the sense that if there is anything that you think I should improve on...or something about the recording that you didn't like(except the quality...since its a terribly informal recording), feel free to tell me. Also don't hesitate to criticize my playing :beer:

4. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

i was so mesmerized in ur guitar playing..that i did not pay attention to anything else.... ;)

5. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

wow... awesome @ bjr... btw... how long hav u been playin 4...?? wish i could give reps...

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Thank a lot, mate. I've been playing for about 3 years or a little more. Don't worry about the reps....if you'll look at my custom title, you'll find I changed it from "reputation whore" :'(

@ansh- heh, a bit much but thanks anyway.

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

24 hours and no replies....what is wrong with you people. I'm going to sit in my corner and cry :'(

8. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

wow...its really B-e-a-utiful bjr....did you play the leads and chords separately and mixed them?...it not then i dunno how do ppl play that...its wonderful...reps 4 you...:)

9. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

^same question as hardik. do u ahv the tabs for this written down somwhere ?

daMNNNN...i just cant get over this guitaring. and u composed this? :nw:

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I play the chords and record them. Then I let the chords play on the speakers and I use a mic to record what I'm playing and the sound of the chords get recorded alongside in the background. However, you can just use audacity to record into different tracks and mix them.

mercury, I didn't actually sit down and "compose" this and then record it. This was totally off my head. This is just a recording of a practice session that I liked. I was playing the chords Bm/G/D/A and trying to improvise over them using scales and arpeggios. I didn't plan that I'd play this particular note or lick over this chord or anything. I don't have the tabs since this was just a random recording. But the whole solo is based on the B minor pentatonic and the D major scale

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your comments. Thank you for listening.

11. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :&quot;(

too goood dude :) bj rules ;)

12. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

Alright man...... amazing work again. Uv got a beautifulllllllllll taste of music.

1.) Change from 00.11 to 00.12 sounds out of flow

2.) 00.57 to 01.07 ,... there is a same riff/lick that repeats, I think just once could have sounded better

3.) N then immed after,...uv messed up during the the bend which takes the clip from 01.08 to 01.09, which again takes me out of the flow for a sec.

Dont mind dude, this is what according to me didnt sound well!!!

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Yes. The problem with nylon string guitars are that you're not really supposed to be bending on them and it's difficult to. As it is, I'm not very good at bending so I start sounding off when I try.

Absolutely. I didn't realize this till you pointed it out but I could've just played it once and then used the same thing somewhere else (perhaps with different timing).

Once again, it was the bend :'(

pfft, of course I don't mind. The whole point of my posting a recording is to have people critique it and tell me what they like and do not like about them. You see, I try to critique them myself as honestly as I can but they're my own creation so there will always be a bit of bias towards them which is why other people's opinions count for so much. Thank you so much for yours....and also for the compliments.

@shubro: Thanks a lot mate. I'll mail you soon.

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I hate you all for not replying :'(

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I have mastered the art of subtle bumps.

16. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

i think the clip was cool.
    ive already said u have a good sense of melody,and phrasing.
    stop bending on nylong strings..hahah..i know it becomes kinda 2nd nature playin on the electric or steel string acoustic and playin blues and rock.but i feel backings like this require more of repetitve hook like melodies...

the melodies u played could very easily be what a vocal melody could be like.

17. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

coooooool thatz some stuff.too damn good.i've never tried a nylon strung guitar.this might sound dumb being a lead guitarist in a band, ur solo gels in really well.the solo's always according to the chords you play rite like you used the scale and arpeggios of the chords u r playin.i never concentrate on minor and major scales i just start playin and it somehow matches in but its always good to go theoritically rite ? i need some help on this topic.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well, yes and no. Theory can never harm you but there are people like me who delve into theory but do not incorporate everything they learn into their playing and end up wasting a lot of time. However, theory is but a tool....it can help you but it is using it that will take you far.

Especially being a lead guitarist, you really should get into scales. Especially majors, minors and pentatonics for a start. I heard your recordings( dee and the tapping thing) and you already have the ability (and apparently a good ear and the will to practice), just start a bit of intelligent practice and your playing will go several levels above what it is right now. Also get into arpeggios.

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, I know. I suck at repititive hooks. I had a couple of potential hooks but when I'm improvising, I'm usually not thinking coolly enough to remember a lick. I try to but more often than not, I don't get it unless my hook is pre-planned....in which case, I can build around it pretty nicely.

eg- one ready hook of mine which I really like for a 2,5,1 chord progression is:

in C:

e-5-6-7-8--4~5---------------------
    B------------------6----6~8--6------
    G--------------------7----------------

thanks for commenting, I appreciate it (especially since I still haven't heard Journey :'(... )

20. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

thank you very much Bjr .can u giv me arpeggios of most of the majors and minor chords. i know most of the major and minor scales.but gotta get into pentatonics i've heard u can go a long way with them rite ?