I need help in selecting a processor and an amp!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ilovegadgets, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ilovegadgets

ilovegadgets New Member

I am a guitar newbie going to buy my first guitar processor and amp. Since I will be using my gear for home practice purposes only, I don't want to invest a fortune.

I have my eyes on the stranger cube 20 amp. I know it is not as good as the marshalls but it should be fine for practice purposes right? How loud is it? I will also be connecting my microphone to it. Will I be able to hear my guitar and my voice properly?

As for the processor my choices are between the two brands zoom and digitech. Which should I go for? If I go for a digitech, should I get the rp50 or the rp80? What are the advantages of rp80 over rp50? I see rp80 has an expression pedal. What is an expression pedal? Is it something you use to quickly switch between effects? I don't want to get a rp80 and save money if it is the same as the rp50.

Or should I dump the whole processor idea and go for distoration pedals? Basically I will be doing punk rock songs in the start and later would move on to grunge and metal. I don't want to be buying a pedal for every song. I want all-round machine that I can use for at least a year.

As you see I am extremely confused over this. Please help me out.

2. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Alright dude! Let me see if i can help u?!

Ok i am just nothing when compared to the guys here so take this as another suggestion. i might also be wrong.

If its budget then u r running into the same problem as i did like 5-6 years back.

Ok as i said i still own a ZOOM 505 II. And i am mostly into rock - hard rock. occasional melodic rock. So i am still on a the same processor for me its not great but it does the trick for a private jam session/and for a few performance trust me you can set it right get a decent tone. So a zoom or a Digitech rp50 should be enough for you right now. And by the way the Expression pedal is like say what u call wah or wammy pedal. this will let u change the sound of your guitar tone and give a bit of added effects to it(this is wht i know,check threads there is one where Ronnie has explained). And this is not the switch to change between effects.the effects are done using individual switches.
    If you are not into wah ? then go for the rp50. you will be content as well as the Zoom processor.

As far as the Amps are concerned i am not the guy to talk abt it cause i dont have one myself hahaha. funny ah. all the best dude

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

check out the new zoom G2.1u

4. cronix

cronix New Member

5. jake_e_lee

jake_e_lee Banned

go for a korg ax100g.
    its better than what a zoom or a digitech model can give u in that range anytime.
    ive used the ax100g for all my shows till recently.
    ive gone for an upgrade in my processor.
    good analog pedals and amps will cost u money,so the ax100g will be the best bet for u now..also i dont really prefer stranger amplifiers..but they are freaking LOUD.i find the kustom cube 20 much better..which i also use in all my bands jam sessions.

6. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

I think AX-100G is out of production now. Try the Zoom 606II. Is the same as 505II, but has an exp pedal.

7. jake_e_lee

jake_e_lee Banned

there are quite a few ads selling the ax100g.
    even if the ax100g is 3rd hand..and functioning properly..i would still choose it over the zoom 505 and 606.

8. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

too bad the ax100g is out of production...and ya it definitely scores over the 505 II or 606 for that matter

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

marshall 10CD is good started amp (i used it for 2 years!!) and as for processor check out the zoom g2.1u and try it out...i hear its pretty good for the price or if ur willing to buy second hand you could pick up a AX1500G from me :) or anyone else!! these are good but not as good as digitech!!!

10. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

which digitech?

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

the Digitech GNX1 , 2 , 3 .......

12. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

G2.u1 better thn the 606 n 505 crap anyday.

13. rohit

rohit New Member

g2.1u is good .my frnd bought it yesterday for 8k.

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

you're comparing the g2.1u to ax1500g and a gnx.

why not say that a java strat is notas good as a gibson lp '58 reissue