I m takin guitar classes for Rs 300?Have a few doubts.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ViaDeath, May 22, 2009.

1. ViaDeath

ViaDeath New Member

me in class 12 n i recently joined guitar classes.
    my teacher is a college student and i thought id'b be cool to learn guitr wid hem.
    but its not so.He teaches once a week and takes Rs300 per mont(BTW more then wat i pay for my maths tuition).
    teaches frm a 1978 book called nick manoloff's spanish guitar method.gives just one lesson for whole week.and its pretty boring.he says he'll never teach me songs and i'll have figure em out on my own.

i cant decide whther i shud leave it or not.
    shud i try someplace else??
    BTw is Rs 300 To much???

2. distorted

distorted satan

300 isnt rly too much... its nt rly relevant hw many days he teaches u, d important thing is if u r able to finish off the lesson he gave widin the weeks tym? if u do it early, just ask him to speed up a little... n u r paying to learn guitar nt to play just a few easy songs... once u start undstanding the music n d instrument, u'll b able to figure out the songs easily. its lots of hardwork n patience in the beginning, but only when u r done wid it u get the pleasure of playin around wid a guitar... be patient, learn the proper techniques n all... playing melodies of songs is the easiest thing to do on guitar...

3. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

^^^^nice advice!

N yeah, 300 is nothing man!

I have met ppl who teach at 500 an hour.
    Also most institutes take like 2k and have 4 or 5 classes a month

But only you can tell how good ur teacher is.
    Honestly, if you cannot respect your teacher than it's really hard to learn.

Try and see his point of view, he is right BTW!

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

How long are the practice sessions? Has he told you what the layout of each session will be? Has he given you a road-map? (i.e. has he told you what the short term and long term goals are?)

Is he teaching you the fundamentals? The anatomy and physiology of the guitar, basic techniques and theory?

Is he giving you something to practice when you go home? Has he advised you on how to practice at home? Any routines etc?

If he hasn't, ask him about these things. If he's a good teacher he will have a clear idea of what he's going to teach you, when and at what speed.

IMO the point of the teacher is to teach you about music and the guitar, and not to teach you how to play your favourite song. Because if you're interested in playing your favourite song you're going to do it through your own effort, and if you can't be arsed then honestly you shouldn't have picked up the guitar.

5. ViaDeath

ViaDeath New Member

i guess u guys r right.
    i'll continoue. its just the way he teaches!!!!!i m losing interest in the guitar.

6. thehundredthone

1 class a week and you're losing interest in the guitar? Sounds to me like that interest wasn't really there to begin with. You have the other 6 days to learn to play your favourite songs don't you?

7. ViaDeath

ViaDeath New Member

umm dude yup i do have 6 days..but who is gonna teach me.

8. thehundredthone

Did you always have everything handed to you on a silver platter?

If you're actually interested then make your own effort. If you haven't learnt to play the basic chords go buy a book or look online and find out how it's done. There are lessons on this very forum too. Then find out what chords go into your favourite songs, pick the simplest one and start playing.

Your teacher is teaching you the basics of the guitar, the parts, basic theory and technique. Practice it everyday so that you understand it. If you can't put in at least an hour a day on the guitar (it'll be more if you're interested) then I don't know, maybe you should think really hard about what you're doing.

9. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

one class a week isnt gud .. try smone else who might charge more but gives 2-3 classes a week ..