I love Hobners!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ksdaddy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy New Member

Hi, I'm in the US and have about 20 or 30 guitars. I buy and sell regularly. Two or three years ago I bought a Hobner 265 and kept it for a few months, then sold it. I regretted it! Since then I have purchased a black Hobner 265 and I'll probably keep it forever. I've owned many archtop guitars, Gibsons included, and this Hobner is much more responsive and "alive".

I should note that the first Hobner 265 was blonde top with rosewood sides and back with a bolt on neck. The "new" one I bought is all black with a glued in neck.... does anyone know how to determine the date of manufacture?

I also recently purchased an old, OLD sitar. I re-strung it and polished the frets. I haven't quite got it tuned properly yet; it's hard to adjust the sympathetic strings (taraf). I'm also having a great deal of difficulty adjusting to the sitting position, as I am primarily a guitar player.... it's hard to discipline myself to sit on the floor in just one certain position.

I bought some mizrabs but they don't fit my finger; they're too tight to put on properly, so I took the used 4th string from the sitar and made my own mizrab. It's not perfect, but maybe I'll make more...

Does anyone here play sitar?

2. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Ok bud here's the deal ..

You buy me a Gibson .. I'l buy you a Hobner ..

Sounds great isn't it .. u won't regret.

3. ksdaddy

ksdaddy New Member

I love Gibsons, I currently have six. But big money doesn't always mean the guitar will have soul.

This Hobner cost me $90 and has soul.