Humbucker Or Rail Pickup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zohaib, Dec 7, 2005.

1. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

Hi There
    Yo IGTians here are some qustions for u
    1) Whats the main difference b/w Humbucking Pickup and a Rail Pickup?
    2)Whats the difference b/w their sounds?
    3) why wud one prefer humbucker or a rail pickup?
    i mean if people use rail pickups why they use it instead of humbuckers or if they use humbucker so why not rail pickups ?

lets take example of Yngwie(rail pickups) Satch(Humbucks)
    Thank You !
    regards
    Zohaib

2. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Humbuckers, I know are used for playing metal. The other kind are known as single coils which give a brighter sound and mostly used for rock.

3. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

any other detailed answer plz ?

4. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yngwie's bridge pickup is a stacked HB I think not a rail but I'm not sure

5. abhijitnath

OK not completely sure about all the fundae...but basically instead of individual pole pieces, one long magnet. Also they are humbuckers ie two coils but in a single coil space (for dual rails, obviously, quad rails will be in a HB size). Typically have pretty high output...used by single coil players who dont want the hum.

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Rail pickups could be single coils or humbuckers. Rails have nothing to do with that. Most pickups including humbuckers and single coils have string magnets on which the coil is wounded. The advantage is their sensitivity. The disadvantage is that the vibrations of the string that happen right over the pole pieces are strong and when the vibrations when they are between the pole pieces are weak. This results in unveven picking up the vibrations by the pickup. This also leads to some dead spots. Another big problem is alingment. Not all the time, you will see all your strings placed exactly over the pole pieces. Since the magnet is strong, it makes the vibrations to stop early, so the natural sustain is cut down a bit.

Rails use weaker magnets, hence allowing the string to vibrate a lot and increasing sustain. They claim that it's more punchier than the pickups with pole pieces. I own both of them. I have Rail pickup as well as pickup with Pole pieces. Both of them are from big names in the industry but my humbucker with the pole pieces is definitely more punchier. By the way, in the rail, the magnet is also as a line, so there are no uneven picking up of vibrations and also there are no dead spots.

Finally it just boils down to what sound you like. I like my Pole piece humbucker much more than my other Dual Rail humbucker.

Yngwie uses something called Stacked Humbucker. It still is a humbucker but both the coils are kept one over the other, so that it can fit in that single coil slot. It still is a humbucker by all means. It could have rail or not have rails. Your question itself is not right.

7. abhijitnath

Hey Ronnie
    Arent the single coil sized rail pickups available dual rails (wired out of phase)? In which case they are hum-cancelling na? Also the humbucker-sized ones are quad rails ie two humbuckers..

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Try to get Ceramic Magent walla pickups.. They scream link mad..

And for that Get what i got
    DiMarzio Evo..

9. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

ummz
    10x for all the replies

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

the RAIL pickups mostly luk the single coil in the pic..( it has two line on it )

Attached Files:

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Abhijit. Single coils have single rail as well as dual rails. Some Bill Lawrence Models have single rails. DiMarzio Fast Track and things like that have dual rails. Also with Humbucker Bill Lawrence L500 series humbuckers have only dual rail. DiMarzios and Kramer have this Quad Rail for their humbuckers.