How to tune the guitar using Korg CA-30?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by hanifv, May 13, 2007.

1. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Guys got a Fender DG4 acoustic guitar yesterday along with a Korg CA-30 tuner. Can someone tell me in detail how to tune the guitar using it? The guitar was sounding alright when I bought it but I was trying to learn how to use the Korg tuner and now one or two strings don't sound as they are supposed to. When I play the second thickest string the tuner LCD displays G#. I am confused. Also should I keep the tuner at 440Hz?

It would be great if someone could post a little guide.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Your strings from thinnest to thickest should display these:
    1. E
    2. B
    3. G
    4. D
    5. A
    6. E

Thats all to tuning a guitar.

And yes you should keep the tuner to 440Hz, thats the standard concert frequency for high A note.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Now dont ask how to actually twist the tuning pegs and bring the strings to correct frequency
    :p:

4. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^bt dude u cn actually break a string trying to tune it in strting...................i got a Granada tuner and broke two ma string da first tym...............u need to be careful.................................u should know
    A A# B B# C C# D D# E E# F F# G G# den A again
    dis is da order..............
    So wen play da Second thickest string (A) and u get a G# tune it a lil higher to get A...................................

5. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Ok thanks guys. I think I got it now. The LCD now shows the proper string name and the strings sound in tune now. But sometimes it shows both the red and the green light and the pointer flickers back and forth between left and center (or for some strings right and center)

6. angel_of_sin

yeah dat happens wen its nt properly tuned................dere isnt ne need to properly tune it..................just see dat its sumwere near it.....................bcoz guitar cant remain properly tuned for long......................and dont tune it daily try tuning it every 7 days or sumthing bcoz oderwise it will need daily tuning in a few months time..................................

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes you can break the string by goign too high in frequency, since 110 Hz is also A note (open A string) and 220Hz is also A note.

However, there is nothing more than experience that can really help you in this case.
    After playing the guitar, you become used to certain tones comgin from each string, the tuner is require only for fine tuning.

The string tension is also a big hint. Try bending strings, (in fact even pressing the string to the fret would also tell you), that will tell if the strings are more tense than usual.

8. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Ok thanks for the help guys

9. angel_of_sin

no problem dude!!!!!!!!!
    btw, how much did da korg cost u?????????