how to strum up?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by aunnyboy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. aunnyboy

aunnyboy New Member

I am stuck with a basic problem... I have problem strumming up. I've tried the struming guide but no where does it say how exactly do we strum up. I don't have any problem strumming down and its pretty smooth but I just can't seem to strum up for some reason, the pick gets stuck on each string... can anyone help me?

Its probably a technique problem, any help would be appreciated.

2. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

browse through the guitar tutorial forum
    there r loads of articles abt that

3. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

i cant strum with my fingers i dun no bout it

if u r struming with flatpick

try goin very slow in da begining dn bother bout how its sounding

sumbody in here told me to try this

dduududu

d--->down,u->up

ther r lot of threads on strumming try refering thm

but best advice strum slowly u l get thr

m on da half way 2 even i av problem with up strums:mad:

4. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

First you have to be thorough with the pattern ! Do this in 4/4 beat .. D U D U D U D U... continue doing it.. And within a fort night you'll see the change..

nIK!:nw:

5. aunnyboy

aunnyboy New Member

well... I get the pattern alright, but my problem lies in the fact that my pick get stuck in each string... I've looked at a few videos and just concentrated at the way the hand moves on the up stroke but its still not helping. It's like on the up stroke my pick plucks at strings instead of just swifting through... any one knows of a good video where I can see how exactly is the hand on the up movement?

6. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

first of all i would suggest that u try plectrums of different thickness............one mostly gets this problem probably coz of the plectrum being too thick n its not really flexible n it tends to get stuck while strumming up.......so i would suggest go for a plectrum of a lower thickness

2ndly........when u strum keep this in mind u r NOT 'banging the strings' but 'Brushing the strings' .............when u try to bang them it makes an awkward sound and is highly probable that ur plectrum will get stuck .............n when u brush it.......dont worry about even if the sound it produces is not that high but that will be a good practice initially.........try to strum lightly as u are jus brushing along the strings

and for the video go through this it might help

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4377852057478784104&q=iplaymusic

last note..........make sure u hold the plectrum in the correct way.........i dont have any picture to show u that but u'll find it on the web that how to hold the plectrum when u strum....

i hope that helps

Regards

7. aunnyboy

aunnyboy New Member

Thanks bro, pretty much solved my problem... I was using the thickest pick, changed to thin, and its already gotten a lot better, just need practice now. The video was real helpful too. Thanks again.