How to spot fake guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

Boss is an off shoot of Roland electronics,its popular cause of its Tonka toy appearance,which makes it very easy to use

2. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

I hav a Fender Squier strat too but after a lot of messin around finally gonna get an RP 80 this time for my bday

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

They you must also be filthy rich
    :phbbt:

You know I hate rich peep.
    :annoyed:

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Just to rub it in a bit more, i have a RG370DX, RR custom, Randall amp, and a Line 6 POD XT live :grin:

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I have

Tulasi Les Paul Copy
    Parker (Forgot the model no)
    A good set of Lace Sensor Gold Pickups lying idle without a Guitar.
    A Fender Start (Friend's guitar but I can use it)
    Rondall 70W True Stereo Head with 2x12 Cabinet
    Peavey 15W Cube (Almost mine though not owned by me)
    Givson Bass (Almost mine though not owned by me)
    7 Piece Drum Kit (Almost mine)

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
    Boss PSM5 Power Supply and Master Cut Off Switch
    1976 Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah modded by Geoffrey Teese (RMC)
    Keeley Modded Boss BD2
    AMT Fatal Tube
    AMT California Sound
    My own ABY Switch with True Bypass
    My own Clean Boost with True Bypass
    My own Steal Drive
    Maxon CS9 Pro Chorus
    Rocktron Short Timer Delay
    Korg AX1500G for Bedroom practise.

Dunlop Guitar Accesories including String Lubricant, Guitar Polish
    Dozens of Dunlop Picks
    Dunlop Slides
    Bunch of Fender Cables
    Planet Waves Cables
    BEPESCO Cables
    Python Cables
    Bunch of imported and Local Cables
    HOSA Patch Cables

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^^"Poor guy working in Intel" :mad::mad::phbbt:

7. ronnieanand

And please help this poor guy :help: :help: :help:

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

dist: :mad:

*gulp*
    *gasping for breath*

But then I did see most of that :grin:

9. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I felt I had to write this..

Once when Eddie Van Halen was an upcoming star, he was asked to open for Ted Nugent. On hearing EVH play, Ted Nugent was blown away, and he went upto EVH and asked what effects he used. The reply was one of the cheekiest in rock history, EVH said 'its not in the pedals, its in your fingers Ted!'.

By the way, EVH's standard rig is (and I say standard, as in normal) - Boss Super Overdrive, MXR Phaser, MXR Flanger, Boss Octaver, Dunlop Wah, and a delay, reverb, cab sim and harmonizer. Not much for such a great guitarist, what do you say?

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^
    HAHA

You think he (EVH) tells you the entire story?

Besides taht tone is in fingers is absolute baloney.
    Technically Tone = sound wave.

That is somethign you can get only from Equipment.

Ofcourse if you say style is all in fingers, then I might agree.

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ We regret to inform you that tone IS in your fingers.

12. ronnieanand

Tone is not just in fingers.. It's a component of everything. One of the secret of Hendrix's tone was believed to be his very high capacitance cables.. Normally such high impedance, high capacitance cables are not used..

Tone is in finger, guitar, pickup, wood, strings, plectrums, everything, ..... SRV couldn't have played an Ibanez through an MT2 and a Stranger Amp to get that tone. Stop quarrelling. Go home and play guitar.

13. zing

zing Machine Head

ya but jus tone =equipment wont make it sound *good*
    like i used 2 curse my first gat cos it was so crappy - then one fine day i met sum pro guitarist & he played it so frickn beautifully i cudnt believe it was the same *crappy* gat

14. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I once read in an interview with Nuno Bettencourt that once he got to one od Van Halen's Concert and for the soundcheck picked up eddie's guitar and played through his rig but he was surprised to find he still sounded like himself so he said to himself "The tone IS in your fingers".

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Tone is in your fingers..GIVEN a good enough professional rig(which most of us dont have)..the same rig can be made to sound better by a better player, but there is a limit to that..
    Give me your guitar..I'll just change one tone capacitor and a volume pot..and then let me see how your fingers can bring out a good tone from it...those professional musicians have spent their lifetime tweaking and playing and have numerous sound engineers at their disposal..they work a lot towards achieving the tones they get..

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Good thing. Besides the tone that those pro guys use is something that completements their style.

DMF you really need to work upon your english and physics. And get the meaning of tone right.

17. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

lol - technically - if a guitar's got rims and wires - it cant be fake - so rock on...lmao...high...watever...:RollLol:

18. ronnieanand

The artists do a lot of gimmicks and a have a lot of hidden secrets which we have no clues to.. Eddie van Halen has such a covetted tone.. Peavey 5150 made big business just with one marketting keyword "Brown Sound".. Surely he's not going to tell you how he got that... Obviously he's gonna say tone comes from fingers or whatever.. He might even say, he gets THAT tone 'cos he always wears Nike Shoes had he endorsed Nike.. If tone was really in fingers, why artists are so messy about having their choice of equipments.. they should just take a givson blue diamon and plug into a stranger amp and get that covetted brown sound..

Tone is largely associated with playing style too.. When Nuno took Van Halen's rig, he would have played all Extreme kinda licks or some of his trademark stuffs. Obviously he is going to sound like himself and not like Van Halen...

I recently tried out this Digitech Death Metal Distortion with another guitar player.. He played a lot of Death / Thrash Metal riffs and said it's okay... I took the same thing and I played some Bluesy licks with it... Even I said the same it's okay... I felt you could use that Death Metal Distortion defenitely for Blues... I played Mary Had A Little Lamb - SRV and it did sound nice..

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^ LOL
    Hope DMF reads this before delving again into "regret to inform you" mode.

20. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Why are we all assuming Ted Nugent asked EVH about his tone? Guys, this was the seventies, a time when guitarists used delays and ringers to sound faster than they are, and quite likely that Ted Nugent might have mistaken EVH's finger techniques as being effect derived. So I think the whole fight is just much ado over nothing.

I had written this as a consolation to alpha1, who was cursing people with more gear. However, it seems he himself believes in loading up on gear. Anyway, Ronnieanand is right when he says, 'go home and play guitar'. Thats where we are likely to get the most useful knowledge and experiences that we can utilise as guitar players. Reading up on a lot of stuff or customising circuitries or getting a heap of gear and trying different combinations is going to help you become a good technical assistant to some guitarist. You might get to tune his guitar and fix his rig and whack out some new combinations for him etc, but that will not necessarily make you a good guitarist. All of you I'm sure would have seen people who make magic with the average guitar without rigs or gear or good amps. These people don't know any extra technical details, they are just better players.

Amen.