How to spot fake guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_guitar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i am planning to buy ibanez s470dx from hongkong and want to know how to spot a fake ibanez as there are a lot of fake guitars in china
    pls help fast as i my dad is going there tommorow
    thnx

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What about getting it from Certified Ibanez dealer?
    But htne the price there will be higher I suppose.

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

do u know how the real one is??
    if u do then u'll no the difference

also see good pics of the guitar
    notice small changes

also
    buy from a a well known store

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i have pics of the guitar. do any of you know any good shops there

5. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^no but do u know
    anyone there ??

also look at the guitar carefully for any special features>
    are u going with ur dad??

if not does ur dad know about the ibanezs and electric guitars???

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i am not going with my dad and my dad also doesnt know anything about guitars thats why i am worried

8. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

u r in hongkong

beware of the fake stuffs

better look for a renowned music shop there which is recognised as an ibanez seller

anshphenomenon likes this.
  9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

There's no way your father is going to spot a fake Ibanez if doesn't know about guitars. Better ask him to go to an official dealer and get it. Make sure he gets all papers, bills and gaurantee card or whatever with it. Also ask him to look for serial numbers. Most fake guitars wont have any sort of serial number in them.

10. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

If u're Delhi based,got to Onstage Musicals,Lajpat Nagar and save yourself alot of trouble.

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I really don't know where you guys get the idea that fake Ibanezs are available in China or HK. They are not. Only in India do we have a few guys making fakes. Admitted, there are a lot of international guitar factories in China, and they sell the same stuff in the market too, but they NEVER put the brand on those. I am saying this because I HAVE seen it. You will find exact stratocasters, Les Pauls etc, and you know from the feel, and many times the price also, that they ae good stuff, but you will either get these with no brand or chinese brands. And the law there is much stricter than here, even a corner shop guy will give you receipts. So if your dad buys an ibanez, he will definitely get the original. Just ask him for the manual and receipt. And relax. By the way, I go my Korea made 370DX from China, it is beautifully set up from the shop, so relax.

Cheers

Sanjiv

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^
    This is offtopic but man you have one Strat, one RG370, and a ZOOM707???

13. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Yes, and 4 Boss Pedals. Why do you ask?

14. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^^^^ Boss pedals are the best i guess,every book i read has a boss pedal

Is Boss DS-1 good???(i'mm gonna go to bangkok ,i've heard this stff is cheaper there>)

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LMAO

Dont call it best.
    They may be good for their job, but ceratinly not the best. There are boutique pedals out there that will own Boss ass anyday.

Sanjivdas, that was meant to be:
    YOU got Strat and Ibanez :rock:
    You got Zoom 707 :annoyed:

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+ BOSS is deemd good only because of endorsements. Remember it is a marketing company.

17. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

OK Got it. Actually the 707II is not bad at all. Of course, I have never used any of the preset patches. I have about 18 patches that I have created, and I play only on them. I have 2 dire straits, 3 Pink Floyd, 2 Santana, 2 GNR, a couple clean and a couple my own distortion sound, a couple metal, so I can just about manage everything, with a little gain or similar adjustments here and there. I admit, the preset patches are bordering on hopeless, but some can be tweaked nicely. I tweaked one to get the harmonics that Edge plays in the background for With or Without You, and its a killer. In fact, the patches I created for my strat sound bad on my Ibanez, so I have to create a new batch of patches for the 370DX now.

Overall, its horses for courses, I play as a hobby at home. I got tired of my maids throwing my boss pedals around, so I have sent them into hibernation for now. I don't gig and all, so I can manage pretty nicely with the 707II. And oh, the expression pedal is not bad either, I can get plenty of wah out of it,, :)

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Man you a a bedroom hobbiest and you have a Squire strat + Ibanex RG370.

You must be filthy rich :cry1:

19. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

No Man. Just exacting revenge on life. I remember my days with a givson and strangers pedals and amps, in college. When I joined my MBA, I promised to myself the next guitar I get would be a real good one. So I did not play electric for 3 years, till I got myself a custom one from Cal. I even got my girlfriend (now wife) to promise me a Fender Strat from her first salary. She now has a plum software job, but I am still waiting for that fender ha ha. So the two guitars and pedals are sort of a revenge on life. In fact, my younger bro is in college, and I bought him an amp, gave him my zoom 505 and 2 boss pedals and also bought him a GRG 170DX, so he does not go through what I did.

But tell me, don't you feel everyone should have two guitars? Like, howver versatile one guitar is, you still cannot get all kinds of sounds out of it. It was mainly this that made me go for my second one. I will now buy only one more, a hard tail mahogany body guitar, and that will be all for life :). Till then, I have to save up on some money, because I am not rich at all, and I have no access to my wife's money.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ah cool.
    I remember you created a thread on which Ibanez is better deal. (I guess you were buying for your bro).

Congrats to you (not coz of guitar, but coz of my girlfriend (now wife)).

Ok I do feel it is good to have different guitar for different tone. But then the moolah has to be there.
    :)