How to revive the record sales

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Nanda, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Guess the commercial scene of the music industry is going down worldwide.It can be revived, by having mp3 CDs sold for a cheap price. There was a time when recording costed hell lot. And a blank sony tape in india was 60. And recording on it costed 65 so totally 125. And making copies of the records also costed money, but these days making copies is very cheap. Can make a copy of a CD for no cost. And a CD will cost some 5 Rs. I dont get why they are priced at 500 odd. It hardly makes any sense. Instead if these 5 Rs CD were sold for 20 bucks. People would probably think of buying those CDs instead of the pirated ones.

Guess selling music for a cheaper price is the only way to revive the music industry.

In countries like INdia , These CDs can actually be give off free of cost in concert where a part of the sponsorship money can be used for the CDs or a part of the enry fee can be used for the purpouse.

When people listen to the songs on their systems they would want to come to a rock show to see that.

This will suerly help the rock scene in India. Its a irony that aband like Bhrama who have played in hard rock cafe france and aired on MCM channel are hardly know in India.
    Their CDs instead of being released by SONY for 400, if it was released by them itself, probably they would sell more, and their music would reach many more music fans in the country and even out of country.....

2. tejas

tejas ..........

You confused the **** out of me! But all I can say is, if bands go around distributing CDs like that, they will go bankrupt. Not all bands are made of rich kids, who can afford to do that. Besides I think artists deserve their due. Those who are trully interested will buy their CDs. Others will not, but selling records is not what music is all about. If you can sell enough records to make another one, its enough. The record doesnt need to go gold or platinum.

3. shak

shak Harrr!

you dont get it mate ...do you?
    why would a person bother to buy a 15 or 20 rs CD when he can get the songs for free on P2P networks ... it doesnt matter how much you bring down the price .... the attitude will remain the same ..
    if a cd which can be burned for 5 rs is sold for 500 rs .. then whats wrong with that? .. you are not charged this price to meet the physical costs ... you actually pay for the material that you get on the cd ... and considering how much musican has to put into one song ... totaly justifies the the 500rs tag..
    the only way to revive the musical industry is to create awareness and keep your fingers crossed ..
    let me make a start :
    look guys never in my whole life that i have downlaoded a single illegal song ... i urge you to stop downlaoding illegal mp3's ... if not forever ... lets do it for a month .. promise that you wont downlaod illegal stuff for 1 month ... lets start a new begining with one small step ... SO WHOS WITH ME?

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I'm definitely not with you on that. I whole-heartedly believe in the illegal P2P industry. It's simple to explain. Try before you buy. I will download an entire album for free...not iTunes or anything like that. I will give it a couple of listens. If I like it, I go out and purchase the album. If I don't like it I simply delete it. It's that simple to understand. Try before you buy is prevalent everywhere...so why not in music? You wouldn't buy a television without switching it on to see the quality of the picture would you?

Over the years I have been a member of one such online BitTorrent metal community. I have discovered bands that I would never have even imagined before. And subsequently I loved their music so much that I went out and purchased their music. In the case of Opeth I listened to Morningrise a few years ago and loved it so much that I purchased 3 other Opeth discs that were in the store without even listening to them (I think they were Still Life, Orchid and one more...Deliverance I think). Now I have all of their records. I think P2P is the best thing that ever happened to the underground music industry. It gives worldwide exposure to bands who would never have been able to otherwise. Try before you buy....it's that simple. Most people I know from that BitTorrent forum purchase music they like. I do the same. It's only a problem when people download without purchasing what they like afterwards.

5. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

^Death metal fan..... The issue you are talking abt is try before u buy..... could be done in a music store as well..... Many of the songs are even put as 30 sec clips in most of the sites.... P2p remains illegal for what ever reasons you do it...

6. shak

shak Harrr!

here in uk ... good music shops have facilites where you can listen to the whole cd if you want to .... before buying it ... and even online ... the good mp3 selling websites, offer streams of the songs which you can listen to before buying them ...

7. death_metal_fan

A 30 second clip does not do justice to the kind of music I like. Most progressive songs clock in at close to 10 minutes a song. Do you think I can get an idea of song by just listening to 30 seconds. It's good music I listen to...not Linkin Park where every second sounds like the next. And music stores here do not let you listen to the whole song.

8. shak

shak Harrr!

well you can always go online and check the whole songs via audio streams ...and then go out and buy the album!! ... (i am just being stubourn aint i?) ... i dont wanna bang about it any longer ... your intentions must be very clear .. so carry on but dont starve the poor musicians

9. death_metal_fan

Christ...read my post. I am not starving musicians or anything like that because I buy albums I like. If anything I am buying more music now than I would if I didn't download albums of new artists. Besides I have not encountered many bands I like who offer their entire albums streamed website offers audio streams of their entire albums. Actually I have encountered just one...Heathen (but then again they offer their old albums for free download on their site). I rest my case.

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Anyway guys what i am trying to convey is the price for the CD is too high compared to tapes. And the money it takes to release a CD is much much lesser than the money it takes to release a Tape. So its better to give the CD for a lesser price than Tape.

If the music industry continues this way, probably it will so happen that, music is a thing just for the rich. The poor wont be able to afford to buy music. And then the problem starts. When some set of people cant afford something, and they are in majority, they come up with new ideas to steal them or get it for free. Guess thats the reason why the P2P networks have become a rage.

I am sorry to tell this - i have heard stuffs starting from Doors to Rolling stones to Met and Maiden and to Children of Bodom and even *** pistols,POD,creed and others, But i havent bougth a single original tape or CD. Nor do i own any songs. I dont even have a music system or a computer. I am a poor guy with great intrest in music, my source of music has been others comps and music players and pubs. But i respect the music. Dont u think if i could get the same music for lesser price i would have surely bought it.

I belive P2P file sharing helps the lesser known bands come up and get popular, but it hinders the record sales of the major bands. It is sort of a Necessary evil.

11. shak

shak Harrr!

well said @nanda
    @dmf sorry mate i take my words back ... you aint starving any musicians ... sorry again ...got a bit carried away

12. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

me too, bit torrent enabled me to discover bands i never even heard off. Usually i just
    download a whole album, and if I like it alot, i order it off amazon. Sounds pointless, but its not fair for bands who play and release records, which end up getting distributed for free. Neither is it fair to the customer when he/she finds out that the album is not as good as those 30 second preview clips, which often play a recording of the best parts of songs.

13. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

Thanx for the Musik Piracy......