How to restring a guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Kashmiri, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Kashmiri

Kashmiri New Member

Hi,

Its the first time in many months ive had to restring my acoustic guitar....jus wondering if anyone can help?

Its the acoustic with the pin type of things at the end, where the string goes....

Also i bought another guitart off a friend of mine....however the small e notes (thinnest) string once strummed on the 10th fret doesnt sound well....sounds squemish and off!, do u think its the fret board or is it the string that might need replacing?

Any help appreciated

2. shak

shak Harrr!

first time in many months!!! ... i change ma strings every 3 weeks! ... anyways...take the pin out... thread the stirng throught he groove . (the ball end goes into the bridge) put the peg back ... now loop the string through the machine heads ... (do a search on google for the tut... it depends on what sort of headstock you have)
    and string them tight...
    the 10th fret problem is probably because of very low action ... take your guitar to a pro luthier to get it fixed

3. Kashmiri

Kashmiri New Member

thanks man!

fellow Brit i see!

Ill probably just buy a new one now, where i am it costs more to get things fixed than to buy....... :-(

4. Liquid

Liquid New Member

on a side note...i love ur signature

5. shak

shak Harrr!

exactly ... get a new one ...

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Since you're in Japan consider getting an ESP.

7. Kashmiri

Kashmiri New Member

Whats an esp?

i seen a semi-acoustic equivalent to £50 here on special offer....think its worth it?

I was practising on nylon but would like a steel string now, is this good?

I will send some pics of some funky guitars here in Japan, things come out here much before anywhere else....

But any advice appreciated, thanks!!!!!

8. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

ESP (Electronic Sound Products) is a Japanese guitar maker. I believe they make semi-acoustics too. Check it out -> https://www.espguitars.co.jp/

9. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

you can also try Fender Japan, they have a factory out there.

10. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

sure , u shd get a new one , esp when u are in a place like japan .

welcome to IGT :rockon:

11. Kashmiri

Kashmiri New Member

Which of the 2 do you recommend?

Im thinking of the brown, wood colour guitar.....its a semi acoustic and a good price, but its only to learn on....

The other choice is the cut-away guitar in blue....Why are they cut anyway? Well its semi acoustic also and just wondering if anyone has any advice in which one to get! any advice, suggestions appreciated....

Thanks for my welcome to IGT, im delighted :cool:

Thanks guys and also check out a funky guitar i seen!

Attached Files:

12. well sharukh i changed mine after six months of use though tu#ne them every three days to ensure proper tunes;)
    u must b spending loads on string then????
    the strings i buy r around rs300 mauritian rs ie 600rs indian n use all steel strings ;)

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

just remember that if your getting a semi-acoustic your still going to need to buy an amp to play it with electric. and besides a semi-acoustic doesn't mean you can play the guitar like an electric guitar you still have to play it like an acoustic, it just means that you can have all the electrical guitar effects put ontop of your acoustic sound.

so if your after a semi-acoustic only because your thinking that you can play it as an electric as well as an acoustic then there is only one guitar that comes close to fitting that bill and thats the Fender Strato-coustic. I played it in Edmonton but even then it still doesn't come close to resembling a real electric guitar.

14. shak

shak Harrr!

naa... i dont spend much ... i buy them in bulk from codamusic ... i pay 2.50 pounds per set ... (ernie balls) ...