How to play ans switch between chords while playing the guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by djmoon, May 17, 2005.

1. djmoon

djmoon New Member

hi all. i m new here just registered and this is my first post. i m playing guitar approx 6 months and i m champ in playing tabs only. now i want to be master in chords. i even dont know how to play them. i have memorized some chords but dont know how to switch between them, there is no teacher for me and for this i m here with u guys. pelase help me because music is my passion. actually i m master at paino. i learnt it 4 years when i was in dubai but now unfortunately i m in pakistan for studies and currently i m doing ACCA. please help me because u r genius and i ll be more thankful to you. Guide me from where to start. please note i have memorized some chords. just tell me how to play a song? what is strumming and what are the key points of this? well thats all.... hope to hear from you very very soon.

2. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

me too a newbie but can tell u the technique....concentrate on the basic chords first...start with the G, C and D chords...all these are major chords.....then u concentrate on minor chords.....if u know the major chords u'll find it easier to memorise the minor chords......include A, E, F and D minor chords.......wen ur done with that start with the 7th chords...A7, E7, D7 and C7......and then the bar chords...this is the toughest as u need to press many strings with one finger......start with A major and F minor which use basic barring....then concentrate on bar chords....this is the most frustrating part.....but once u practice well u can go thru it.....

wen ur perfect with basic chords...go for the basic progressions....

hope this helps...

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

gr8 to know that ya know piano also ... gud ...

hey for playing chords (first of all i assume u know trhe basic open chords ... if not then ask or search in google.com or clusty.com) ...

search chords for the songs u wanna play ... and play them ... maybe slowly at first and as your fingers become more familiar with the fingering patterns u can speed up the things ...

by far the most common "problem" observed while playing guitar is not the chord structure but changing to new one ASAP while playing ... for that only thing that will help is pratice ...

there is no secret or approved way of playing chords or switching ... if it sounds OK ... it is OK ... same for strumming ... and in general - playing ...

and if u get "bored" playing the same songs over and over ... u can play a chord progression made up by u ... suppose u know how to play E G D A C chords then play them in any order u like ...

if u are more musically inclined u might wanto play in a scale ... so like u wanna play in scale of C major - the chords are C Dm Em F G Am Bdim ... play these chords in any order and they will sound musically good ...

4. djmoon

djmoon New Member

thanks a bunch guys, so u mean that now first i consentrate on major chords and practise them ok i ll do the same. well here i want to tell that i know how to play major chords and my figure movement is also ok but what i want to know is that it is not possible for me to play a song for example if i want to play the chords of pehla nasha song that it sounds really odd and no one can recognize which songs is playing even i m p[laying the right chords. well thanks for ur reply and please keep posting in this thread.

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey ... u gotta practice the minor chords also ... there are a very few song where u will have only major chords ...
    i guess the song that u are referring to has some minor chords also (will havta go back home and check) ...
    the reason y even u are not be able to hear your song might be beacuse of timing ... the same chords progression can sound entirely diff if played with different timing ... so u gotta play along with the original song ... in order to time it ...

6. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Practise chords by strumming in in different patterns. Eg. Try playing C -> Am -> E-> G in this pattern - Down Up Down Up Down Up Down Up. Change the chord after finishing the pattern.

7. djmoon

djmoon New Member

thanks again,,,,,,,,,,, what is down and up movement? listen i m not referring that i m champ in chord just tell me some specimen which i can practise

8. djmoon

djmoon New Member

u mean that for every songs there is different patteren. is this? ok agreed with you.

9. djmoon

djmoon New Member

now i m just practising 3 major and 4 minor chords ok guys. i ll let u know when i have complete holding on these chords. at this stage when i switch between two chords i hear some odd sounds specially when i pull of my fingure from A d G strings. is there any tip to overcome this?

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

only tip is: dont strum while changing chords ...

11. djmoon

djmoon New Member

i c . thx anyways