how to measure progress ??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by sixstringsin, Dec 16, 2005.

1. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

actually ..its very difficult estimate your progress ..mainly becuz you will be ever learnin and gettin new things without masterin the ones you know ..so you aint really sure if you can play that solo or riff rite ..u may be able to play it .,but to play it ,and to play it like the original is completely different..

k this may be a dumb list ..but it kept me goin for a long time ..a very long time
    all songs
    level 1 ( after 3 months ) -
    intro to smells like teen spirit ,come as you are playin al little small tunes like californification intro, paranoid intro , all intro riffs of popular songs by nirvana, ..

level 2 (after 6 months ) - basic chords, timin , rhytm for iron maiden songs to build right hand strength , still lovin you , breakin the law ,all rhytms with bar chords
    level 3 ( after 9 months)-
    small solos californication solo , top gun theme full song ,going under solo ( its small but helped me a lot)

time to shift to electric if you have

level 4 (after 1 year)
    all SOAD riffs to make your rite hand ready for thge next phase of soloin , hendrix songs intros and interludes , purple haze, voodoo child , hey joe ,
    level 5 ( after 1 1/2 years )
    soloin , mainly metallica songs ,unforgiven 2 solo , enter sandman solo, hollow years solo(for acoustic) , paranoid solo ,sweet child of mine solo , holy wars solo, always with me always with you ..
    level 6 after 2yrs ) -
    crystal planet ( full) , little wing( full) , for the love of god ( full)

I am at a 4 now ..the holy wars solo is one which im dyin to play but i cant reach daves speed or accuracy .

i have another list for theory ..but this itself will take you more than 2 yrs todo ..but if you do it ..you have made it as a guitarist .if you want .i il post my dumb theory list too..

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Satch Attack... Your list is toooooo aggressive.... I dont know if you realize that even Paranoid solo is pretty damn difficult to play. After 1 1/2 years of playing I still can't play it. I play my own anyway to make up for that. Songs like Always with You, Always with Me requires at least 3 to 4 years of solid playing to even attempt it.. If you just just going to play the intro and play some sloppy legato, you can attempt it right after 1 month of guitar playing too... Actually to even play that intro properly will take some good time. In Holy Wars Marty Friedman's solos are even tougher than the Mustaine's solo.. Though it sounds a bit slow, it's pretty tricky.. Even the sweep picking is not some straight sweeping of a single chord. On the upstroke he does a major sweep and on the down stroke he does a minor chord sweep and something like that. I dont remember it exactly.. Or maybe it's in Hangar18 that way... No too sure...

The intro to Hey Joe is something that's really difficult. There are 100 easy covers of that songs which can be attempted but not the same thing what Hendrix plays..

I have to jam with you someday... With you already in the level 4 of your description must be a killer guitarist by now... It will be a privelege to jam and learn from people like you.. In your description I am in the advanced level 3.

3. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

hey i can tune guitar by ear...play acoustic marginally good so how do i get rated as a guitarist :confused:

4. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

@ fat_kax this one aint a rating thread ! :p:
    @sach: defining levels based on song ...?? i think it would be better if you come up with the list/levels based on theory part that u were mentioning and the guitar techniquies ... not strictly for rock/metal artist but any guitarist - as the 'inspirations' mite differ!!
    if you look at one of the links i found (ref post #13) the list looks quite organized abt learnig basic to advanced concepts/techniques ..wat do you think abt that list??

5. fat_kax

:eek::
    waddya kno...​

6. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

who me? know abt what? :shock:

7. zing

zing Machine Head

ther r 3 parts to playin guitar - rhythm (strummin patterns) melody (solos) & harmony (intervals - or relationship of one note with other notes) - u gotta develop all 3 to becom a good player -

imo th stages wud b sumthin like

:eek::
    - tuning the guitar [dont go to next stage unless u get this :)]
    - C major scale, A minor scale, simple song tunes
    - simple open chords
    - simple songs, playin tune + chord, simple chord changes
    - hammerons, pulloffs, bends

:cool:
    - barre chords, basic triads, seventh chords, some complex chord shapes
    - different chord progressions, fast chord changes
    - major, minor, pentatonic & other scales / ragas dependin on ur taste

:rock:
    - major & minor scales in all positions on fretboard, other scales, complex tunes, string skipping, arpeggios, solos, modes
    - complex chords - ninths, elevenths, thirteenths
    - triads, interval inversions, composing melodies
    - alternative tuning, circle of fifths, modulation

:nw:
    - signing record deal, world tour, buyin caribbean island etc

did i miss sumthin:think: feel free 2 add 2 this

u can also chk out thes 4 bit advanced info
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=19329
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=19646

sixstringsin likes this.
  8. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^^ lol yeah that completes it!

9. fat_kax

hey - wat if i dunno how to play da geetar a fig....and im stilll able to afford the carribean island...:confused:???

newez....yeh....ummm - hey - i sed - "waddya know....this aint a rating thread...."

10. zing

zing Machine Head

practise man practise