how to measure progress ??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by sixstringsin, Dec 16, 2005.

1. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

ofcourse learnin never stops -- but how to measure progress ??
    can some body list the important learning phases: from simplest to relatively most advanced ones? This will help in measuring the progress as a guitar learner. ( i mean i think so :) )

Also if there are any imp points for measuring progress specificly with the electric - please specify them separately.

Once I was comfortable changing chords - i could strum most songs I hear - but playing different songs appears to be a very horizontal growth in the learning process! Or is playing differnet *kind* of songs a good approach? eg- u learn to tap with rite hand once u get to feel the rythm of more than words/xtreme - but never formally learnt the lesson on tapping? again - this approach is very unorganized - depends a lot on listenning habits!!

welcome any thots/opinions/watever ....that helps give an idea on progress..
    besides the green dots in reps :)

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

u can list out what all stuff you are comfortable with and the time you are learning from....that will help people to understand your progress so far

3. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^ Ok in my case i started learning since may this year - 7 months!! I can play comfortably sm stuff (on acoustic) like - don williams n eagles -robbie wils -rich marx - scorpions - nirvana- gnr - seems hard to categorize actually. But ok -- if thist helps -- I intend to advance from acoustic to electric and experiment with sound effects using pedals etc. so am not sure (without an instructor) at what stage to go ahead for that ....
    Also how generic can the phases for progess in playing be?

4. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

playing electric is easier than acoustic..
    ur true guitaring skills are shown on an acoustic..
    u shd switch over to them when u think u shd..
    and when u r satisfied with urself...

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

also, are you able to tune the guitar properly without the help of a tuner??

6. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

thanx ansh!
    wiz: ya i can tune an acoustic now w/o ext tuner :) but i have saved the sound of the 1st string on my phone just to confirm its properly done ;)

7. anshphenomenon

smaart baay!!!

8. can_i_play

can_i_play New Member

Hey guys ...
    I am not progressing anywhere then...
    I have been playing gitar for almost an year ..not regularly though..
    But my ears to this point cannt differnetiate untuned gitars....
    How do i train myself from scratch...
    I know to play some basic scales...some old tunes thats it...

9. anshphenomenon

^^well..
    firstly u shd practise regularly..
    secondly...u shd do some basic scales...
    go through the beginners Q&A...i think u wld get a lot of help there if u do not know much abt scales..

10. can_i_play

can_i_play New Member

Hi Ansh...
    I have practiced scale quiet a bit....and can find out tunes for some basic songs as well...
    the problem lies with chords...and tuning...
    i cannt judge...which is chord to be played ....
    and thn how to tune gitar...

But i will surely start practising regularly from today itself...
    second thing is ...patience i tend to get bored easily if not playing welll...

11. anshphenomenon

^^well.
    u need patience when ur playing guitar..
    u cannot play like a pro in a day itself..
    so be patient while playig..and keep ur practise regular..
    regarding the chords...well.. with time u will get them easily...
    as and when u will practise u will get to know the chords better...and soon u will be able to get what chords u r supposed to play..
    and same is the case with tuning...
    initially u can use a tuner to tune ur guitar ..and then later u will get used to the sound of a tuned guitar...
    so u will be able to know whether ur guitar is in tune or not....

again one last thing..PRACTISE....
    good luck!
    :beer:

12. can_i_play

can_i_play New Member

Thanks dost....

13. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Basic skills and techniques to advanced ones (in a roughly progressive order) are quite vividly listed out at:
    https://musiclessonz.com/docs/Basic_Skills_and_Techniques.pdf

I've been kinda trying to follow it as strictly as possible -- and just thot of sharing the link if it mite be useful to others...

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Array nahin yaar,
    what about sounding good?
    I can assure you if the technique is not good, electric will sound awefull.

ON acoustic, even with n00b level technique one can sound decent.

Ofcourse to sound awesome on acoustic is more difficult that sounding awesome on Electric.

So its like: for a n00b, electric is more difficult to get good sounds out of.
    For an expert, acoustic comes to be slightly more diff (esp since you cannot use the effects)

Sixstring: I have that courage. Any medal?

15. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^ yeah... prize can be anything but an-other-peanut :)

16. anshphenomenon

@alpha..
    ur right..:beer:
    but..
    HTML:
    Ofcourse to sound awesome on acoustic is more difficult that sounding awesome on Electric.
    this is what i meant..:)

an amp plays a major part...for that to happen.
    which isnt the case in acoustic..

17. musicoholic

musicoholic New Member

K I have been playing guitar since 2 months from feb...I can play songs with open chords such as pearl jam-elderly woman behind the counter...,last kiss,disarm,atlantic city,o o jaane jaana,polly,devils and dust,yaqeen and stuff...i have trouble with bar chords...i can play them but find it difficult to switch between them and i can play simple leads like riff of run to you,aadat solo,o o jaane jaana solo,come as you are riff etc...and i can find out when my guitar is off tune but find it difficult to tune it...So what do you guys say

18. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^ what do we guys say regarding what ...could you be specific?
    My intention with this thread was to possibly identify differnet stages in learning so as to have an *organized learning curve* ..i'd recommend that you browse thru the link i gave earlier in this thread...it gives a good idea on what guitaring techniques one has never paid enuf attention learning or even skipped ..and frame a mental roadmap to learn them in roughly progressive order.

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

To sound awesome on electric or acoustic is equally tough... If you just talk about fretting all notes right, then electric is more easier bcos of thinner strings and lower action. Sounding awesome is a different game altogether. It talks about perfection. When you are near such perfection it just wont matter to you whether it's electric or acoustic. it wil just be a matter of choice.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Yeah you also have a point there.

I am not an expert so havent exactly reached taht level :p: