How to Master Guitar Chords?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by dennis, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

How to master them chords?

Well, i have been playing for over 2 years and id consider myself at the intermediate level.
    One thing i never learnt is how to go about learning chords. Till now ive learnt the "basic " open chords and power chords, barre chords . But i really wanna explore those intricate chords..(aka floyd style) . I know music theory, chord formation etc. Cud someone help me out here.

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

Practise is the key word ....

you can master on ur basics first .,..

3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

chord charts help plus one day instead of blindly following the charts.. see why a C major is a C major.. also how many ways u can play the C major scale.. so work around the scale fingers and see how many places u can form the chords that r part of the C major scale.. namely C Dm Em F G Am and Bdim. try that for all scales and keys.. and at the end of this your would have mastered all chord positions.

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

jay, i know chord theory.learning from chord charts is boring. Ive learnt the major scale chords(all keys) and the 7th chords.
    What i wanted to know was how to explore the other remaining chords, like 6,sus chords?

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

POST EDITED:

never mind, you're an intermediate player, so you wont reall need that.

6. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

7. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

MASTER CHORDS!!!!
    Wow even pro guitarists like Joe Satriani or the likes will think twice before they say that they have "MASTERED CHORDS"!!!!!!!!
    its a learning process dude, u always learn something new.
    The theory of music is NOT FINITE :)
    SO chill, dont attempt to "MASTER CHORDS"
    just attempt to learn something new - or you will stagnate :)

you keep learning and learning and learning .......

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

learn ur intervals..and be creative...there are countless number of ways to create ur own chords...and play them at diff positions..
    i totally agree with band baaja..
    learn 3 new chords daily..

9. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

As dharmatma said, intervals is the key (is that a pun?? ;) )
    learn the intervals and the feelings the create, difference between intervals, why a certain player uses a certain riff instead of another (lots of jazz helps here)
    I'm on that path too.. maybe these can never be "mastered" cos if u think you understand one theres a whole new horizon to explore...!

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

thanx guys..lol, what i meant by 'mastering' was to get better at them.
    ..advice taken dharmatma, ill start today.