how to get the rythum, how to know the strumming style of a song?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Vyoma, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Vyoma

Vyoma New Member

Hello to all of you.
    This must be my first posting here.

I practiced guitar on my own about 4 months back, and then learnt something from a tutor every Saturdays for the last 2-3 months.

He taught us most of the basic things.
    -How to tune
    -Basic chords
    -Barred chords
    -Simple songs

Now, again, :p: I am on my own, and when I search the net, I easily find the songs with the chords on them. For example,

Am------------------------
    Hum ko sirf tum se pyar hey

G---------------Am--------
    Hum ko sirf tum se pyar hey

Am----------------------
    Keh ra hi hai dil ki bekudhi

G--------------Am-------
    Bus tumhara intezaar hey

Thats OK. But how to get the rythm, that is, how to know the strumming style? If one wants to know, which kind of strokes to be done, can it be documented? Or does, one just learn it by insticnt? :think:

For the above song, me and my friend tried, the following style:
    d/d/u/u
    where d->down stroke and u->up stroke.

Have we got it right? Or is there a way to find out?

2. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Give a search on the keyword strumming, lotsa threads will turn up which'll help ya get some useful tips on strumming.

3. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

Feel the rythm and then get in the rythm...

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Yet again, a query regarding strumming patterns. Listen to the songs, try strumming the chords, you should get it. Listen to the drum beat if you can, for me it's trial and error method.

5. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

Try this for simple songs!

Hi! I am a newcomer here and this is my first reply. I am a beginner you
    can say. You should use accented strums for simple songs.
    The strumming pattern is given below

> >
    d u d u - d u d u

The arrow marks on down strum shows that you have to strum the first beat louder than the other three ones. Here another patter nand it is used in fast songs.

> >
    d u d u - d u d u

The arrow mark on third beat shows that you have to strum the third beat louder than the other three.

Now, here you go, try it and let me now how does it sounds.

6. Vyoma

Vyoma New Member

Thanks for the support guys!
    I am noting all the things down. I am browising from a net-cafe, so I'll go back home and try it.

Orange Guitar, I will soon post how it sounds.

7. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

vyoma - also search the site for rythm , i remember someone posted a similiar thread like yours and also got enough response on it , juss check it out , might be a help for you i guess !!!

8. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@bob and disturbed....i think we shud remember or save the links to the common questions asked again and again....creating floods of threads arnd.

9. Vyoma

Vyoma New Member

Well fictional_real, I think you got to the point.
    I have been browsing through this forum for few days and have seen that it is a collection of talent, a pool of talent.
    Some time in future, I will archive them, and then post it out. The Administrator can pin it up and all the newbies like me can go straight to the state of rocking.