How to find the chords for a song.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by tonan, Dec 28, 2005.

1. tonan

tonan New Member

Hi guys i searched quite a lot, got few posts and also few very good websites.. but they were going quite high.

My requirement is very simple. I can play the tabs for any song i hear once. That is i can play the lead quite easily, no prblems in that, its quite natural for me... as i know where the next note is going to fall... yes it took some practice.

Now i can play most of the chords at different positions on the fret, but the thing is that whenever someone is singing i am not able to accompany with him/her :eek:: . Is it very necessary to go thru the music theory to understand this :aggre: . Can anyone tell me the logic behind it as to how can you find out the chords for a particular song..

like i know that for "Chura liya hai tumne jo dil ko" we use Am G E.... i know this as i have got this right from this forum, thanks to all you geeks out there. I really want to find out the chords myself when i listen to any song so that i can sing the song and give the chords for that. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me on this, i think this is one major concern for most of the beginners and the ones who are playing the guitar for quite some time now. This would be a great help for them. Admin if u can help us on this plz do

2. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

It seems as that you can't keep up with the person as he/she sings.that comes with practice and u should no the strumming pattern.
    LIKE -
    chura liya's strumming pattern-

D$ DDU ($ means there is a gap of one beat)

And Yes at some point U HAVE TO LEARN THE THEORY

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

play the lead
    then notice the notes being used prominently.
    like in chura liya its A G E
    so play the chords
    A G and E
    A doesn't sound right.
    So try Am.

4. tonan

tonan New Member

Thankyou for the advice :rock: , it seems that i am missing out something, the thing is that when i learened guitar, i was taught according to the indian classical , the sa re ga ma thing....

Now i can easily catch up any tune i listen to and then play the lead. I can play quite well with the karaokes.... and also whn i download the chords from this forum i dont have any probs playing then. I can sing along and play quite easily.. the only thing is that when a new song comes up for example ...

say ... tum bin jiya jaye kaise... kaise jiya jaye tumbin...

i can listen to the tune and pick up the leads but when it comes to play the chords i am lost, i am not able to figure it out which one to play.. i guess what you are asking to figure out the notes while i am playing.. so could you please translate the hindi(indian) sa re ga ma.... into the C C# D .... can i get the fret location for C C# D ... in this forum so that i can match that up and find the prominent chords and try out with the majors and the minors to play the song.... :help:

5. zing

zing Machine Head

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I       II         III    IV          V         VI         VII   I 
    sa      re         ga     ma          pa        dha        ni    sa
    C  C#   D  D#/Eb   E      F   F#/Gb   G  G#/Ab  A   A#/Bb  B     C

this is the C major scale - covers 13 frets or 1 octave - notice that there no flats/sharps in between E-F and B-C -- ther r lots of scales u can get by searching - natural major/minor, harmonic/melodic minor, pentatonic, modal scales etc etc

fret location? im guessing u know the strings 1-6 r generally tuned to EBGDAE :)
    so using that u can figur out the positon -

once u get the notes in the song u need to figure out which scale it fits into -- once u get the scale ther r common chord progressions that u can try out based on the scale notes [ I II III etc] these r like-

I-IV-V
    II-III-VI
    I-VI-II-V
    I-II-IV-V
    I-II-VI-V
    I-III-II-V
    I-III-VI-V
    I-III-IV-V

so if a song fits the C major scale, u try out diff chord progressoins
    e.g. with I-IV-V chord progressoin the chords wud be C, F, G [experiment wtih C7, Fm, Gm, G7 etc etc]
    if I-IV-V doesnt fit then try II-III-VI [ D, E, A etc etc] - almost every song wil fit into one of these progressoins

dunno if i undestood ur quesion correctly but hope my answer helps - lemme know if u hv any other Qs

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

What are the #s called in indian classical music???

and what are chords called in indian music?

7. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

There is no concept of chords in indian instruments .... None of the indian music will have more than one note coming at the same time .........

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The first statement is mostly correct. The second one is not.

9. zing

zing Machine Head

sharps r called 'teevra' & flats r 'komal'

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

hey wht u r speaking of (flats and sharps) ..... u can have notes as flat and sharp .... not just chords .. tht wont justify the thing that indian music has chords .......

11. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

if you mean playing two notes together might constitute a chord. my sis does that all the time with her harmonium. i might be wrong and i think i got the spelling wrong too.

12. tonan

tonan New Member

Thankyou zing..

:rock: :rock: :rock: hey zing.. you have just pinpointed the whole stuff.. now i get it.. thnkyou for the post. i guess it should help people like to translate the things.. Now i have got the point and i shall be able to find the chords out for a song...

once again.. thnkzzzzzzzz a looooooooooooot...

:nw: :nw: :nw:

:beer:

13. zing

zing Machine Head

hey buddy ur welcome.. glad 2 help!!

14. abhi_23july

abhi_23july New Member

Hi

Hey....If u convert the Western notes to Indian notes....
    then all the "SHARP" notes will be "KOMAL" note with the sa re ga ma...notation.
    e.g. c# will be sa komal....

Similarlly all the "FLAT" notes will be "TIWRA" note with the sa re ga ma...notation.
    e.g. eb will be pa in Indian notes...

Just try it...

15. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

^
    Yup. That's right.

16. thunderbolt

thunderbolt New Member

Just keep playing a song by ear and try to use your ear most of the time.. try to add bits and pieces to the original song that you might or would like to play on it.. this improves your improvisation also. but most of all you would know what the chord patterns are like in most of the songs. you would even know what tuning is the guitar on to play that stuff etc etc.. if you try to add solos or fills on a song thats probabl one of the best ways for improvisation and everything else.. I know its a little out of topic and all I think but hey I guess it would help you guys..

Like I did some fills and added a solo on a brand new song called "hey kid" by Matt Willis which originally had no guitar solos so I felt it deserved one and I gave one.. good thing is people like it more than the original song ;) enjoy

https://www.badongo.com/file/1745492

17. amogh_war

amogh_war New Member

hi
    you can also check out a thread called " HOW T OFIND THE SCALE OF A SONG" posted in hindi guitar tabs submit ir request forum.

18. Renegade

Renegade New Member

well this goes out to tonan for his question on chords..I dont know any theoritical way how it goes but I usually figure out where the chords change.. and catch the note and try to see which chord sounds in tune at that point...
    there are a few sequences which are quite common together and can help you figure out the chords...
    like A+F#+D+E(Papa kehte hain,Purani jeans...)
    Dm+G+C+F+Am(Junoon-dosti, Neele neele amber pe, jadu teri nazar...)
    G+C+D+Em ( Dooba dooba)
    many more like this....if you song starts on another scale you can shift the chords accordingly...
    I hope this helps..

19. rakesh_sargam

rakesh_sargam New Member

Sorry boss...flat bole to aadha note peeche which is 'Komal' in indian classical..and sharp bole to aadha note aage..that's teevre in indian classical..This you can get when you play komal ga on harmonium you play one key earlier than the usual and if you play teevra Pa then you play next key to the original pa.

and to pick chord of any song...just play the lead last note of the mukhda will fall on the key..that is the basic chord of the song...now use the set of chord corresponding to that chord...
    e.g.GM then user GM CM DM and Am Em
    or CM then use FM GM Dm Am etc.etc.

Hope this helps..

20. princeton

princeton New Member

in a hindi song how do we find chords of a song . if at all we find the tonic chord , is there a way by which we know that there are the family of chords in which the other chords are to be searched
    say Dm is the tonic than are there some definete chords which has to be there , so that we can explore only those chords.