How often should I change the strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by pruthuze, Mar 8, 2007.

1. pruthuze

pruthuze New Member

I have a Hobner acoustic guitar.....

..its been a while tht it doesnt sund good....i used to play songs n they all sounded perfect.....bt thn the same songs dont sound good now....checked the tuning also.....thn thought of changing the strings....

I had been using the same string for around a year....

juz needed to ask how often shd i change the guitar strings....???

2. Diya999

Diya999 New Member

your strings

hi!

there is no set period to change ur strings, its whenever u feel the sound is changing (which is now for your case) this depends on how often you use your guitar and the style in which u play. some people perfer the dead sound of the strings, i don't. u can preseve the strings for longer by cleaning them - preventing dirt build up which will affect the tone, so may be they just need a good clean (dry cloth will do). also look for wear and tear of the strings at the frets thats a good indication of changing them.

hope that helps

Diya :)

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

2months...and when the turn black

4. smitzonian

smitzonian New Member

Its depends on how vigourously you use your guitar , i use my guitar for an hour everyday , i need to change my strings once in 2 to 3 months.

5. divakar s.

divakar s. New Member

hallo friends, how r u! I have learning very recently. I,hope U all wil guide me.

6. pruthuze

pruthuze New Member

2-3 months/....wat u sayin i had been using my strings from last one whole YEAR......

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

If you are playing regularly... im damn sure thell sound CRAP. :beer:

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ohhh Diya!
    :hbr:

9. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Alpha1 what's with you now?
    And who cleaned up this thread? :p:

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

damnit, this is the problem with not stepping out of the CC lounge...I miss drama. What got cleaned up?

Most string manufacturing companies reccomend changing strings in 6 to 8 weeks but then again, they are kinda making money if you change strings. Since students can't really afford to do that, the best thing would be to take care of your strings (the way Diya said) and then change them when you can sense a change in tone. Also, it's better to change the whole set at once rather than one at a time.

11. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

hey man just see if you can tune your guitar and that all notes are perfect.And if it still sounds bad then then tunning drops, which is way of telling that the strings need to be changed it could mean all strings are just the one or two or how many ever. Cleaning as said by Diya does a lot of good for the strings as well as the guitar for adding more life/sound to the strings.Think this helps.
    And i can tell you that same strings for a year(if u can still get the proper tunning) might actually give a very muddy sounding guitar which i would not like to have for an acoustic. But its upto u people.

12. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Oh nothing. Visit the "How do I tune my guitar" thread.

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

damn, I can't believe I've lost the will to hit on people.

14. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Smell them. If they smell like your ass, change 'em.