how much you pay/paid towards guitar tuition?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by madhura, Dec 1, 2004.

1. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

what we are having is a healthy discussion related to music..and guitar playin ...which i think will also help people form oan opinion of their own ..so u can also make ur point if its strong enough..

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

'Healthy discussion', yeah....

3. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

the material is available on the web and the ear can be developed..i dun remember having a very good sense of music before i started..though it rocketed up afterwards..
    and i'd love to take formal lessons from a good teacher..but they r really hard to find here :)

the greatness of hendrix is undeniable.

@nemo, been only 2 yrs of playing :p:

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THE MATERIAL AVAILABLE ON THE NET IS NOT ORGANISED NOR IS IT ALWAYS 100% RELIABLE...and those free lessons that u get in the net is good only perhaps to the intermediate level..

@ disturbed..if u want to be sarcastic...buzz off..

5. 6String_assasin

do you need spoonfeeding?

the lessons can be organised according to oneself..if some lesson/tutorial is a level up for you, u'll most probably not understand it, or for some reason choose automatically to go through it some other time..

and u can always judge if the material is reliable or not..which mostly is..as most guitar chat forums always check before a lesson posting is made. and it is visible when a dumbass is playing in a video lesson.

wot level u reach is always on yourself, whether you have a teacher or not..

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

yes i need spoon feeding..coz i am lazy as hell and dont want to make the effort of organizin random lessons which dont have a connection from anywhere...ill play my guitar rather than doing that and focus more on originals rather than workin out tabs from other peoples songs..and be satisfied playin joe sats songs..
    maybe u are satisfied with the lessons which u get on the net ..just like that..
    it gets insufficient for me and like i said i am too lazy to keep lookin around for different lessons i need...
    AND PLEASE...INTERACTION WITH A TEACHER IS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT U LEARN FROM A VIDEO...
    AND ALSO ...PLEASE GET MY POINT THAT I KNOW IT DEPENDS ON US WHAT LEVEL WE REACH AS A PLAYER...BUT WHAT IM SAYIN IS THAT
    LEARNING FROM A GOOD TEACHER WILL DECREASE THE TIME SPENT ON A LESSON.

7. 6String_assasin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    of course, definitely..

8. 6String_assasin

but a "good" teacher. ask me.

n also sometimes the longer way is the better way..

a teacher is no more than a guide when learning music..at the end u have to work out things..the only factor is that a teacher can point out mistakes..a video lesson cannot..i know this..u have to figure out urself, and it is a pain in the ass when u have to re-learn a technique..but if u can you can go further than otherwise.

9. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

ppl may i jump in :p:
    listening to both of ur arguments i personlly think that it would be great if someone gets a good music teacher who could point out basics right in the formation stage. otherwise some habits could get stuck and would take long to get rid of.
    and from that pont in the learning journey its just u and ur guitar. the amt of time u devote personally is irreplaceable. no matter how good a teacher uve got,, if u dont have the zeal and the passion to learn u'll end up playing a few isolated pieces of music only.
    on the other hand i still believe raw passion can make u learn it as fast as one could.

10. k_arvind

k_arvind cool guitarist!

i used to pay Rs300 per month and i used to have classes all the days except sundays.

11. mani_rawalpindi

mani_rawalpindi GUNS AND GUITARS

i am thinking about a guitar teacher right now two tuitors i have seen 1 qasking for rs 1000 other 1500 cant mind up my mind

instead i bought chords dictionary and started to learn chords all by myself

12. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

my guitar guru takes rs 600 per 4 classes.....in a month. 1 class held once in a week. yes, its expensive but before joining i asked loads of people and found out dat good guitars teachers have normally dat much of fees IN MUMBAI,INDIA.

he is lead guitarist in a band called NAKED EARTH in mumbai, India. he works in cBeez, andheri for AN amplifiers producing company which also export thier product.

i personally started on my own...but after 5 months i relized i shud need at atleast 1 years of professional training to know all abt guitars and techniques.

my guru too learned by himself....but, he said dat he didnt knew wat he was doing for 5 yrs....and now, he thinks dat if he had taken a professional guidance then wat he had learned in 5 yrs wud have been learned in 2 yrs!!!! now, he has completed abt 10 yrs in guitar playing....and he rox.

so, guys u wanna learn fast and learn wats important....i think professional guidance is necessary. its worth it ....if the guitar teacher is good plus if u have saved loads of money.....i did 5 months job to collect money for guitars and guitar classes. after dat i left the job and i am learning guitars and also preparing for exams. ;)

free guitar teaching -----> www.cyberfret.com

rock on.

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

thats cheap.
    good teachers come anywhere form 60-100$ an hour.
    dont do the Rs to $ conversion please :)

14. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

^^^he is right...

15. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

i m not doing rs to $ conversion... but hey...i cant afford 40 $ per hr ....while m a student ..... i m planning to practice on my own for a while... then just take few classes for new techniqes and then practice at home again ......well lets see .....
    i wish i could get more time to practice though .....

16. i've paid not even a cent coz learnt all from IGT members my cousin's guitar book n from myself cant waste time with such teachers who will try to make me pay so much for really no knowledge gain
    i think we r our best teacher ourselves
    b patient n devote time to guitar then wil succeed dont know if its true koz am trying n hope am right

17. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

when some1 asked the gr8 guitarist kerry king....how does he plays so fast .....he replied " i practise and drink beer then i practise then again beer then i practise and once again drink beer...on on"...

wat i am trying to say is dat u need practise to become a good player....or watever u want to be in ur life. practise makes man perfect.

hardwork is important but working hard in smart way is more important....i.e u shud know wat u r working on wid guitars is important and useful. u got to skip watever is not useful or else u r wasting ur time...

and no one learns on their own....he refers to a book atleast or to some friend who knows how to play guitars. but if u take a professional guidance u'll learn guitars in lesser time but again it depends on ur dedication on time on guitars practising....

18. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i think you should take lessons. it always helps. there is no substitute for learning from a teacher.

19. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

I suggest save 240$, have 6 sessions, then do it on your own.

if you get the basics wrong, it is very difficult to "unlearn" bad habits.

I have been playing keyboard for 20 years now, I never learnt from a teacher, and am have now reached a plateau, i cant play advanced western classical piano pieces, I just dont have the technique to do that, so have been totaly pracicing a different way of fingering from my style.. the text book way.. and am finding it very difficult to unlearn the stuff i've got.

which is why i am emphasizing the need for a "good" teacher at the very beginning.

Jay

20. bangobango

bangobango Banned

ya but these guitar teachers try to lenghten the classes to earn more