how long does it take to learn guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rads16, May 9, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Fictional I dont fully agree to your point. If 10 years is the time for Mastery, then every tom dick and harry that played guitar for 10 years would become a master. It all depends on how big you dream, how good you want to be and how much would you give up in life to achieve your dreams.

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

goddamn u ... man u r lucky learning spanish/classical guitar stuff ...
    i agree: "mastering" (u can never master - but only get proficient) classical stuff is very diff ... but the plus point is u'll get very strong on fundamentals ... that will help later ... yeah even in rock and metal stuff ...

soemone here just said chuck yer teacher and ask him to play "hangar 18" + malmsteen etc stuff ... man do u know that Marty Friedman (the one whose behind Hangar) and Malmsteen both take inspiration from classical stuff ... u just gotta listen to Paganini ... the way they play violin ... too much ... almost imposs to get that on guitar ...

b.t.w. NEM shouldnt be very diff for your teacher to play/improvise ... is mostly finger picking ...

JUST BE PATIENT AND HANG ON!

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

iL sum up:::
    -u need lots of patience
    -that dont give it up gusto
    -sum hard work
    -face ur failures like a man or woman as the case maybe..lol.. but dont get too much disheartened!!
    -dont long to play like slash or satch too much..plz..dont watch them playing..heh..kidding

way to goooooo!!!

tahda!!

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Slayer,
    I didn't ask him chuck his classes to play Hangar 18? He said that he is hardly able to play anything but wants to start playing songs, so I told it like an irony to pick up Hangar 18 and some Malmsteen stuffs.
    Anyway to get good basics, you dont need to have a tutor. If you are dedicated to learn and have some good materials, that should be easy.

5. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Hi .. Just one thing to say .. Guitar is Cool... Get cool with it , give some time every day and practice regularly... u will catch up greatly within a year .. Ok Bye

6. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

more than a life time ..

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Hmmm

hey i guess i have heard that thing somewhere else also ...
    whats this book "Mastery" all about???

8. annand

annand the pessimist

that pretty much says it.

you don't have to be borned with music in you to be very good at it or even good at all. my friend wanted to learn to play so he could pick up girls so i thought him. now he's pretty good and even got a girl in bed (what'd you know?) :)

just beginning?? starting of with "nothing else matters"?? don't. for your sake. you don't want to discourage yourself. you want to walk first, then run. try something easier. listen to nirvana? they are a good place to start. then when you've gotten pretty good using both hands then worry about metallica.

and if i were you, i would take the classical lessons - it'll teach you a lot.

9. bradcruise2002

bradcruise2002 New Member

Hi Rads

Hi Rads,
    Am a newcomer to this forum....want to learn the instrument- the classical variant..was thrilled when I came to know abt this Australian teacher of yours !!!
    Is there any possibility that I get his contacts- would be highly obliged.....
    you may contact me at +91-9811138847 or sarcarp@yahoo.com, prasenjit.sarcar@ge.com

Thanks in advance,
    prasenjit

10. zing

zing Machine Head

mark knopfler said he's still learning to play the guitar :))))))))))

11. pratik_sailor15

pratik_sailor15 New Member

u no wat??? i learned playin guitar oonly in 2 months.. n i rem i could play some 15 odd songs... n i never went to a professional.. a learned it from my fren who began wit hords unlike other tutors.. so i guess i picked it a lot faster.. n now its been n year.. i can play as good as he can...

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Attaboy

Kudos to you, but atleast provide a list of songs u can play.

13. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

i have a new theory mabe ur teacher is so attracted 2wards u that he wan'ts u 2 learn very slowly .....so that after a bit of time when he aquires guts he can ask u out..........(he he) how bout that

any ways one tip fastest way to learn music fall in love(chow)

14. can_i_play

can_i_play New Member

Buddy.....
    mai bhi ussi kashtii ka sawar hoon.....
    patience matters in the end....
    Best of luck...

15. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I second that...:grin:

nIK!:dj:

16. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

Originally Posted by shahrukh
    Q:how long does it takes to learn guitar?
    A:A LIFETIME.

JEEZ that's so philosophical!!! try n'd understand her problem this babe wants to learn fast so that she can play guitar in front of her dream dude.............n'd impress him rigt rads(hehe)

i

17. walk_alone

walk_alone **~~| An Atheist |~~**

I personally feel u can never learn playing guitar till the time its ur like or hobby,
    u can only learn it and play it wen u have a REASON.
    Reason to learn,play and create something that belongs to you only to you.

U need to feel music from within and then take out every bit of ur frustration,anger and depression out and then give urself a reason to soothe ur soul, that REASON is your guitar.

Tooooo philosophical...atleast this is how i see it.

18. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

how long does it takes to learn guitar ?
    i think no body is perfect in this wrld no body has learned everthing bout guitar evbody learns sum new stuff evday ........so kip strumming no body can b perfect ;)

u r lucky u got a tutor i dun av a tutor n i play left handed ........u vll never no my pain dude but tht doesnt make me fall week av patience ..........it always pays gud

for me findin guitar always is a big problem i end up payin more i dun no y :( ....books which i find in shop r always for right handed ppl n its really hard to figure out ......but i nevr give up ........i cnt play tht gud but ya m happy m learning ;):)

19. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

depends on ur dedication and also on the resource u have and yeah talents also .....

20. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

how long does it take to learn guitar ?
    a life time.. i dont think so .

step1. crash into love
    step2. hurt your knees real hard
    step3. hold your guitar and stand up....

now strum and do that hard. do you feel the difference?